Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Our beloved 98 XLE is gone

Mike Gerber
08-17-2006, 09:17 AM
It hurts to write this, both figuratively and literally. My wife and I were rear ended Sunday in our 98 XLE, waiting in line at a stoplight, by a 1996 full size Dodge Ram van going about 50 MPH, and pushed in to a pickup truck in front of us. The rear end collasped almost to the back window. The back window blew apart spraying glass all over. The backs of the fronts seats folded backwards from the force of our bodies hitting them. When we were pushed in to the pickup truck in front of us, the front was crushed in and the air bags deployed. The car is totaled. I'm just happy my wife and I were able to walk away from the wreck. We are both bruised up quite a bit and went to the emergency room. We both see our own doctors today and Friday. My wife is just sick about her beloved Camry. She was just saying how wonderful her car now rides with the clunk in the rear gone, since I replaced the rear strut assemblies with the Monroe Quick Struts. That car looked and ran like it was still brand new. I had taken unbelievable care of that car since it was new. We will really miss that car. We will both be OK, so I have to keep telling myself that. That Camry gave up it's life to save us. It did it's job. Well, we still have our 94 XLE.

Mike

idmetro
08-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Good to hear that neither one of you suffered serious damage that is the most important thing. Just think of all your previous work as an investment that paid huge dividends; you were hit driving a car that protected you. So now you will have a reason to consider a new one.....

Brian R.
08-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Keep aware of your physical health. Sometimes damage to your back from such a collision will manifest itself in the future. Don't sign any waiver of responsibility by any insurance company or party.

xfeejayx
08-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Keep aware of your physical health. Sometimes damage to your back from such a collision will manifest itself in the future. Don't sign any waiver of responsibility by any insurance company or party.

Very happy to hear that you are okay, but I have to agree with Brian. My dad had a similar accident with our 92XLE, not as severe, TWICE. Second one led to cooling system going bad later>overheating>blown head gasket>buh bye car :(. His back didn't start hurting till about a month after, and bugged him for 2 years after, no more support from auto insurance at that point. Don't let that happen to you!

RIP
08-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Glad to hear you both survived. Recently had a friend of the family driving an Avalon who wasn't so lucky. We all need to take a look at the sun every morning and give it a wink.

Just curious. Was the driver of the RAM on a cell phone?

AccordCodger
08-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Great survival story - best of luck to both of you. I do know how you feel. I've had 3 cars totaled (none my fault) and in every case I had to make do with someone else's problems as a replacement (I've never been a new car person). Sometimes it was good (like this last switch from a wrecked Accord to a '99 Camry) sometimes not.

WickedNYCowboy
08-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Glad to hear your okay. I have to agree don't sign any waivers from anyone. Parents made that mistake with me. Mom and I were in a small fender bender a couple years ago. But the new camry is sweet lookin with dual exhaust.

Mike Gerber
08-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Glad to hear you both survived. Recently had a friend of the family driving an Avalon who wasn't so lucky. We all need to take a look at the sun every morning and give it a wink.

Just curious. Was the driver of the RAM on a cell phone?

No, he wasn't on the cell phone. He was an elderly man (actually only 7 years older than me) who said he thought he put his foot on the brake.

As far as signing anything, I have my attorney working on it and right now we are just dealing with the property value of our car.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Mike

AccordCodger
08-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Oh great. The lawyers make out again.

docksider
08-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Mike

Great to hear you and your wife survived the accident. Just can't drive for you and "the other guy".

Don't neglect regular visits to your doctor and therapist.

That lady deserves a new gen Camry or Avalon, or even a 4Runner.

Godspeed

Mike Gerber
08-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Mike

Great to hear you and your wife survived the accident. Just can't drive for you and "the other guy".

Don't neglect regular visits to your doctor and therapist.

That lady deserves a new gen Camry or Avalon, or even a 4Runner.

Godspeed

Thanks. We're looking at getting a 2007 Camry XLE 4 cylinder.

Mike

JOET/CAMRY
09-07-2006, 11:19 PM
It hurts to write this, both figuratively and literally. My wife and I were rear ended Sunday in our 98 XLE, waiting in line at a stoplight, by a 1996 full size Dodge Ram van going about 50 MPH, and pushed in to a pickup truck in front of us. The rear end collasped almost to the back window. The back window blew apart spraying glass all over. The backs of the fronts seats folded backwards from the force of our bodies hitting them. When we were pushed in to the pickup truck in front of us, the front was crushed in and the air bags deployed. The car is totaled. I'm just happy my wife and I were able to walk away from the wreck. We are both bruised up quite a bit and went to the emergency room. We both see our own doctors today and Friday. My wife is just sick about her beloved Camry. She was just saying how wonderful her car now rides with the clunk in the rear gone, since I replaced the rear strut assemblies with the Monroe Quick Struts. That car looked and ran like it was still brand new. I had taken unbelievable care of that car since it was new. We will really miss that car. We will both be OK, so I have to keep telling myself that. That Camry gave up it's life to save us. It did it's job. Well, we still have our 94 XLE.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your 1998 camry. the main thing is that no one was seriously hurt and the car was insured.:) if you were driving your 1990 mazda miata it might have been worse as far as injuries are concerned. I believe it's a very small car.

it's awful to have a car that you bought brand new, took great care of it like you did, just to have a car accident, through no fault of your own, and the car ends up totaled. :frown:

I understand you bought a brand new 2007 Camry xle. I hope you have just as good (hopefully even better) luck with the 2007 Camry as you did with your 1998 Camry. You have been a great help to many people on this forum including myself.:cheers:

Best Regards,

JOET/CAMRY

Mike Gerber
09-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Hello Mike,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your 1998 camry. the main thing is that no one was seriously hurt and the car was insured.:) if you were driving your 1990 mazda miata it might have been worse as far as injuries are concerned. I believe it's a very small car.

it's awful to have a car that you bought brand new, took great care of it like you did, just to have a car accident, through no fault of your own, and the car ends up totaled. :frown:

I understand you bought a brand new 2007 Camry xle. I hope you have just as good (hopefully even better) luck with the 2007 Camry as you did with your 1998 Camry. You have been a great help to many people on this forum including myself.:cheers:

Best Regards,

JOET/CAMRY

Thanks for your thoughts.

We ordered the 2007 Camry XLE 4 cylinder. They said 4-6 weeks. It hasn't even been 2 weeks yet. I would be very happy if it came in that 4-6 week period; very happy indeed. My wife has been driving my 1994 Camry XLE. I have been driving the Miata. You are right about what you said about the Miata. If we had been driving that, we probably wouldn't be here to talk about it.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!