Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blower problems

pappap999
08-17-2006, 08:31 AM
heater/ac blower switch will not shut off even with key removed from ignition. this was repaired once around dec. 2003 I am now out of warranty at 45,000 miles. the dealer says they will look at it but I know I am in for some cash out of pocket. what can be the problem that this occured so soon after being replaced only 8 mos. ago? what could be my options as I do not have lots of cash available? also, I am using the battery cable to shut the blower down. I am using the car as little as possible so this does not cause any other problems. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

MT-2500
08-17-2006, 10:02 AM
heater/ac blower switch will not shut off even with key removed from ignition. this was repaired once around dec. 2003 I am now out of warranty at 45,000 miles. the dealer says they will look at it but I know I am in for some cash out of pocket. what can be the problem that this occured so soon after being replaced only 8 mos. ago? what could be my options as I do not have lots of cash available? also, I am using the battery cable to shut the blower down. I am using the car as little as possible so this does not cause any other problems. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Welcome on your first post on AF.
We need more info like year make and model and automatic or manual ac/heater controls.

You have a relay or fan control, module sticking.
If this is the second failure you also may have a bad fan motor pulling to many amps buring up relay or module. Needs tested for amp draw also.
And go easy on that battery disconnect.
Try unpluging the fan motor ,relay or module.
If you have to disconnect a batter always disconnect neg first and hook it up last or you can blow up a lot of electronic stuff.
MT

pappap999
08-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Welcome on your first post on AF.
We need more info like year make and model and automatic or manual ac/heater controls.

You have a relay or fan control, module sticking.
If this is the second failure you also may have a bad fan motor pulling to many amps buring up relay or module. Needs tested for amp draw also.
And go easy on that battery disconnect.
Try unpluging the fan motor ,relay or module.
If you have to disconnect a batter always disconnect neg first and hook it up last or you can blow up a lot of electronic stuff.
MT
thanks for the welcome and the info. I just returned from a repair shop a friend of mine has. he checked it out and it seems to be a relay switch. he contacted someone who told him that this has been occuring often [twice now for me] on the grand prix and that the part was recently reformed to correct the problem. the part costs around $70.00 plus replacement [labor] charges. seems to me that if pontiac knew this and needed to change the part that the consumer should not be responsible for costs to replace a part that was defective in the first place. but, I know fighting the powers that be is useless. also, removing the cable is the only way I know to get around as I have no idea where the parts you explained are. I am dumb to anything mechanical esp. on a car.again thanks for your help & I have enjoyed going through the different forums.

MT-2500
08-17-2006, 11:49 AM
thanks for the welcome and the info. I just returned from a repair shop a friend of mine has. he checked it out and it seems to be a relay switch. he contacted someone who told him that this has been occuring often [twice now for me] on the grand prix and that the part was recently reformed to correct the problem. the part costs around $70.00 plus replacement [labor] charges. seems to me that if pontiac knew this and needed to change the part that the consumer should not be responsible for costs to replace a part that was defective in the first place. but, I know fighting the powers that be is useless. also, removing the cable is the only way I know to get around as I have no idea where the parts you explained are. I am dumb to anything mechanical esp. on a car.again thanks for your help & I have enjoyed going through the different forums.

Glad you found the problem and thanks for posting back how it is going.
It would be a good idea to check the blower motor amp draw on it.
Bad blower motor with a high amp draw will wipe out the relays and modules.
Good luck
MT

Add your comment to this topic!