Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Problem

1978Camaro
08-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Have a 1978 Camaro but not getting fuel. I have a Purolator Pro 12s electric fuel pump. The pump will pump fuel from a gas can but will not pump from the tank. I put air into the lines to flush it, and also replaced the fuel strainer, but fuel is still not getting to the carb. also the fuel pump has 4.5-6 PSI and 34 GPH. any help would be great. Thanks

corning_d3
08-17-2006, 02:20 AM
Maybe the pickup tube in the tank is damaged or broke off... Or it could be a kinked line.

maxwedge
08-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Maybe the pickup tube in the tank is damaged or broke off... Or it could be a kinked line.
Just to add here, there is a strainer on the pick up in the tank also.

1978Camaro
08-17-2006, 09:08 PM
I actually just replaced the fuel strainer in the tank. The lines look good, no damage that i can see.

1978Camaro
08-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Also i just put in new fuel filters but still no luck

corning_d3
08-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Then there has to be a blockage in the line somewhere...

rhandwor
09-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Disconnect the line back by the tank and see if it pumps. Road debris can dent a fuel line. Is this a car that has been setting or you got a tank from the junk yard sometimes you have to get the tank cleaned.

bobss396
09-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Is the electric fuel pump located back near the tank (where it should be) and do you still have the mechanical pump in place?

I like the suggestion of popping off the fuel line as close to the tank as possible and see what happens. My $$ is on you having a dried out piece of rubber hose that is sucking air somewhere. Trace the steel line and check every piece of short rubber gas hose to see if it is pinched, dry rotted or swelled up.

Bob

Blue Bowtie
09-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Most electric pumps have reasonable head pressure ratings, but do not have much of a lift rating (the "push' the fuel a lot better than they "suck" it). Most of them are designed to be installed below the normal fuel level so that there is no priming necessary. Manufacturers will usually instruct that they be installed with a sump in the bottom of the tank with a bottom line feeding the pump, or with some natural siphon. Roller vane pumps usually have a little better lift raing (suction) but are never "perfect". At the very least, mount it as low as you can, fill the fuel tank so that the pump can prime, and hope it doesn't drain or siphon back into the tank (usually at the most inopportune time).

rhandwor
09-15-2006, 08:57 PM
A lot of cars have a small primer pump in the tank mounted on the assembly with the float and ect. They then have another pump outside the tank is your setup original equipment GM or an aftermarket rig. Like bowtie said you need one in the sump hole. I have a friend with a Volvo with a big Bosch fuel pump and his primer pump went out and a GM replacement worked just fine. About $35 versus $80 they are about 1 inch diameter and 3 inches long. It even fit perfectly in the mounting bracket. This puts about 3 or 5 psi to the suction for the big pump I think around 50 psi.

Add your comment to this topic!