Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Better tires on front or rear?

Garfield2
08-16-2006, 08:46 PM
On a front wheel drive, is it better to put a new set of tires (2) on the front and move the best 2 tires you have (used) to the rear? I can understand how on a rear wheel drive you would want better tires on the back in the winter for good traction. However, growing up in Nebraska we were taught that you want very good rubber on the front of the vehicles to lessen blow out and give you better control in an emergency.

So, which is it on a 1996 Buick Park Avenue, or any other FWD vehicle? Is there any hard and fast rule and actual scientific studies to back up either rear wheel or front wheel tire moutning of "new" tires?
Vern

CapriRacer
08-17-2006, 05:55 AM
Nebraskan,

I think you got your answer in another forum.

Garfield2
08-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Nebraskan,

I think you got your answer in another forum.

Ahhh yes I did:wink: You get around CarpiRacer!! LOL Perhaps there is someone on here that could benefit from knowing tha trear tires that are not able to grip and hold the road can cause the rear end to fishtail and be mighty difficult to effectively correct. Best to have good tires ALL around.:lol:

Knap
08-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Keeping a vehicle under control can be more difficult when tires on the rear wheels are worn more than tires on the front wheels, SCDOT officials also learned. In the day's second demonstration, drivers had to complete two laps of a wet, circular track as fast as possible while still maintaining control. The first time, they drove a car with half-worn front tires. The second time, they drove a car with rear tires that had half as much tread as those on the front wheels. Drivers of the cars with worn rear tires found it more difficult to avoid fish-tailing and spinning out of control.

http://www.michelinman.com/difference/releases/pressrelease03192003a.html

The advice (recommendation) in the UK applies for both RWD and FWD, which is against the grain considering the work fronts are asked to do.

MT-2500
08-17-2006, 02:56 PM
On a front wheel drive, is it better to put a new set of tires (2) on the front and move the best 2 tires you have (used) to the rear? I can understand how on a rear wheel drive you would want better tires on the back in the winter for good traction. However, growing up in Nebraska we were taught that you want very good rubber on the front of the vehicles to lessen blow out and give you better control in an emergency.

So, which is it on a 1996 Buick Park Avenue, or any other FWD vehicle? Is there any hard and fast rule and actual scientific studies to back up either rear wheel or front wheel tire moutning of "new" tires?
Vern

Saftey issues say to put new tires on the rear of front wheel drive car.
Some tire companys will only mount them on the rear for that reason.
But MT horse sense says it is better to have good tires all the way around.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!