Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car jerks when changing gears

nicklan
08-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi guys,

I am at the point where I could almost go mad and shoot everyone around me. This car problem has driven me crazy. Here is the full story.

My car is a honda accord 99 coupe. Automatic Transmission.
I had a leak from the drive shaft seal. Took it to 3-4 street mechanics who said they will replace the seal and the problem would go away but they're "not sure". That's what each and every one of them said, that "they're not sure".

I had no choice. I took it to the dealership. The dealership told me there is play in the drive shaft and its actually a transmission issue. The transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I said thank God at least I know the root cause. I had the transmission rebuilt.

Since I have had the transmission rebuilt, the car jerks when changing gears. Especially more so when I go to work in the morning (does it more when its cold, but generally does it all the time), but this never happened before. By jerking I mean the gear changing timing is somehow not right. The engine would rev really high and the gear would suddenly change after some time.

I took the car back to the guy who rebuilt the transmission. He said the transmission is fine and that this is a problem with the "Knock sensor" or there is a "EVAP system leak."

I called up a mechanic who said knock sensor or EVAP leak wouldn't cause the delay for transmission to shift gears.

Now I am not a very rich guy and I can't keep taking the car back to the dealership. Can someone please tell me whether the transmission guy is bulshitting me or the mechanic?

Thank you very much I appreciate your time.

Nick.

Igovert500
08-17-2006, 03:19 PM
I fail to see how a bad knock sensor or evap system leak would have a single thing to do with a jerking trans. I'd check the fluid in the tranny. Should be a dipstick. See if it's high or low.

It's possible that the rebuilt or swapped tranny isn't up to par. I had a friend pay for a new tranny, they swapped in a used one that had leaks and hadn't had the fluid changed in forever. Sure enough, 2 weeks later his 2nd tranny died.

It sounds like the tranny guy is trying to take you for a ride. Now if you are getting a Check Engine Light, it is possible that you may have one or both of those problems (however if you were, the mechanic could simply plug in a scan tool and figure out which one it is...so he wouldn't say knock sensor OR evap canister leak) So yeah, I think the tranny guy is trying to get out of a shody job.

sabanation
01-22-2007, 01:23 PM
nick,
i have a 99 accord ex v6 coupe. I am having the same problems you had. i got my transmission rebuilt last year and now it revs really high before shifting gears and jerks. I wanted to know what you had to do to fix it? Did you have to get the tranny rebuilt? Thanks!

saba

Add your comment to this topic!