Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

start after 15 years Meadowbrook

scottd50
08-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Hello all,

Trying to start 1951 Meadowbrook. Not sure if cylinders seized or not. About 15 years ago it ran great and I put a small (probably too small amountof light oil on top of cylinders. Now trying to rstart. Changed oil and getting new plugs. It has been suggested to me to remove plugs and turn motor with nut bolt with wrench on fron of engine. Also put kerosene on top of cylinders, or to put Marvel Mystery oil on top of cylinders to help clear rings if they are seized. Any advice on starting the old motor? Which of these to do? I also read something about removing the distributotr and using a lagre electric drill to turn the oil pump to put oil in the engine. Any opinions and or advice welcome

KManiac
08-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Here are my suggestions:

Remove all the spark plugs and pour maybe 1/2 cup of motor oil in each cylinder and let sit overnight.

Disconnect the suction side of the fuel pump from the gas tank line.

With a socket on a breaker bar, rotate the crankshaft by driving the center bolt on the end of the crankshaft. If the crank refuses to move with the socket and breaker bar, the engine is seized. I expect your crank will rotate.

Now that you have rotated the crank, hook up a fresh battery and exercise the beast with the starter motor (spark plugs still out). Don't let the starter run for more than 30 seconds continuously. Give it a 5 minute break between 30 seconds of cranking. During this exercise, the oil in the cylinders will lubricate the walls and rings, and the oil pump will circulate the crankcase oil through the rest of the engine. About two minutes of total crank time is sufficient.

Put the spark plugs back in. Connect a fuel line hose to the suction side of the fuel pump and run the other end into a can of fresh gasoline. Prime the carburetor with fresh gasoline. Then crank the starter and see what happens.

Once you see the engine running, flush and clean the gas tank and fuel lines to the fuel pump. Fill the tank with fresh gasoline and reconnect the fuel lines to the fuel pump.

The engine, at least, should be ready to go. I would also suggest changing the crankcase oil and filter after the first hour of operation after initial start up. Now, all this assumes that the ignition system, fuel pump and carburetor operate without hidden problems. Deal with whatever comes up as it happens. Don't forget proper coolant and checking for coolant leaks and a possible stuck thermostat.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

scottd50
08-16-2006, 03:38 AM
Kmaniac,

Hey, thanks for the helpful advice on starting the old Meadowbrook. The fresh fuel container outside the tank is a great sugestion. The autoshop guy suggested I turn the crankshaft as if I was taking it off - which I guess is counter clockwise. Is that correct and does it matter which direction I turn it?
Many Thanks scottd50

Add your comment to this topic!