Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tamiya RX7 FC3S?

apex_N1
08-20-2002, 06:50 PM
Hi everyone, I went to a small hobby shop today and after spending a few minutes of searching the shelves I found a Tamiya rx7 fc3s cabriolet turbo. I comes with a complete engine bay and since it was only $21 canadian, I bought it. I have never seen this kit before and I was wondering if you guys had experience with this kit before and what you think of it. Thanks.

Jay!
08-20-2002, 07:13 PM
I picked up the coupe version at a recent swap meet for $10, and I'm VERY happy I did. I never knew it had the engine until I opened it.

It'll be a little while before I get around to building it, though...

flyonthewall
08-21-2002, 06:52 AM
I remember drooling over that kit in the '88 catalogue, still haven't brought one though!

apex_N1
08-21-2002, 08:45 AM
I am very happy with this kit, considering it's an older kit. The detail is excellent and can be built in either the targa version or with the top on. I think I'm going to leave the top on and lower the car a bit:)

crab
08-21-2002, 08:53 AM
wow... which hobby shop did u go to? (i live in T.O. too!!)

apex_N1
08-21-2002, 09:25 AM
Crab, It's on yonge street downtown, it's in the basement of a comic book store that I can't remember the name of. Hope it helps

crab
08-21-2002, 09:52 AM
hmmm... I'm like working 2 blocks from yonge street downtown right now, hehe.... but yonge street's pretty long... do u remem. which street the shop is close to? Bloor? Richmond? Across Eaton Center? If it's close I might consider an extended lunch break today :p

how's the selection there?

apex_N1
08-21-2002, 10:18 AM
it's on yonge, close to wellesly subway station. It's a few stores next to another comic book place called "1001 comix". The store I'm talking about is smaller and they have comic book heros painted on the front of the store. it doesn't look like a model shop at first since you can play online games there, but in the basement there is a wide selection of models, if your looking for older kits then you'll like it.

crab
08-21-2002, 10:40 AM
sweet... been looking for a new place to check out for so long ;)

giordano
08-21-2002, 03:51 PM
apex_n1,

what only $21? it used to be $30 damn you :mad: :lol: nwayz feed back, it's a great kit no problem. i have the coupe and i had no trouble building it or with the fit of any parts. so what's your plan? building it box stock?

apex_N1
08-22-2002, 08:58 AM
Giordano, yeah, I got pretty lucky for finding it for only $21:p I'm probably going to build it mostly box stock. I'm planning on swapping in some recaro seats, maybe a new set of wheels and a lowering job.

Crab, did you happen to check out the hobby store I told you about?

crab
08-22-2002, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I got a chance to go there after work! Pretty neat place... I like the comic book + internet atmosphere :)

But I can't say the prices are cheap for many of the models... the Tamiya 1/35 Tank kits are incredibly expensive there... I got my Tiger I at Pacific Mall for $55 tax incl., and they were selling it for $72 there. Too bad most of the cars are like AMT or R-M fuglies.... their Tamiya selection is decent but still kinda pricey I think :(

However, their supplies are relatively cheap! I ended up buying a Tamiya Rubbing/Polishing Compound tube for before-tax $4.99 (US $3.33333333333333) :D

... still I'm in search of the Lotus Esprit Sport 300.... i love that car!!

erix7
08-22-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by apex_N1
Hi everyone, I ... found a Tamiya rx7 fc3s cabriolet turbo. ... I have never seen this kit before and I was wondering if you guys had experience with this kit before and what you think of it. Thanks.

Great kit, the only thing is that the wheels are the wrong type for export models (most
FC Cabriolets were sold with 15in BBS wheels).
Fujimi does a set of wheels that comes close but you have to put stub axles in the wheels
to make 'm fit.
I did some replacement wheels in resin for the early TurboII coupe (flat discs with 11 holes)
and the '89 US type (flat discs with 7 holes).

BTW the Turbo II version of the Cabriolet wasn't sold in the US (was it in Canada ?).

http://www.xs4all.nl/~erix7/rx7kits/tam2474.html

HTH,
-- Eric.

apex_N1
08-22-2002, 09:34 AM
Crab, yeah, that place is a bit pricey. I usually don't buy from there, but since the kit was for a good price I bought it. I also buy most of my models at pacific mall, you should also check out a place called "dragon hobby" it's on broadview and gerrard. The selection isn't bad and it's closer than pacific mall:p

erix7, thanks for the input. Much appreciated.:)

crab
08-22-2002, 10:17 AM
Aiee, I dunno about dragon hobby, the guy gave me weird looks!! I've been there twice only. One time I was there checking out their "sale" items in those cardboard boxes beneath the shelves... the guy quickly jumps up to see what I was doin'... and I thought "whoa, dude, chillax!"
so I figured the guy prolly thought I was tryin' to go five-finger-discount on him or something... bad experiences with a model shop! :(

But I wonder if they have the Lotus Esprit 300 Sport there... hmm...

giordano
08-22-2002, 11:02 AM
apex_n1
nice so you're mak'n it into a drifter!?:D yeah it's closer than pacific mall,
but at pacific they have more selection though!

crab
think they don't have the esprit 300 sport. but they have the 2002 ctr and the new itr (RSX) kewl look'n, but it's somewhat expensive around $42 maybe it's worth it?!:rolleyes:

guys have you tried going to northstar hobby at dundas st. mississauga beside lick's?

crab
08-22-2002, 11:29 AM
been to Northstar once.... lots of everything but nothing I like, except perhaps their 1/200 Yamato display..... from what I remember prices there ain't cheap... but not nearly as high as CLH :rolleyes:

but if they have the Lotus there... that's a different story! :)

Now that this thread has attracted the attention of nearly all T.O. modelers in AF, here's a list of model shops that I know of. Feel free to add to the list :)

Dragon Hobby (Broadview & Gerrard)
CLH (Markham road)
Keith's Hobby Shop (Yonge street)
North Star Hobbies (Dundas street)
Grey Region (Yonge street)
2 hobby shops in Pacific Mall
1 Hobby shop (VERY tiny) in First Markham

that's about it...

Add your comment to this topic!