Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport

xFatcatx
08-13-2006, 01:58 AM
I just bought a 02 Grand Caravan yesterday. It has about 20% left on tires and brakes are good for another 10000 or so. It pulls to the right when driving and worse when applying brakes. I had it checked out and was told nothing major was wrong underneath but needed allignment eventually. The problem is a noise coming from front passenger tire. A chush, chush, chush, sound that increases as acceleration does. I checked for nails or rocks etc. on the outside of tire but could find nothing and it is driving me insane. Would rotating help? Please any advice is appreciated.

RIP
08-13-2006, 02:31 AM
Are you feeling vibrations or is the steering wheel wiggling? My guess is you could have a cupped or scalloped tire that's making the noise. That means either the inside or outside edge of the tread is worn unevenly. If you look closely you'll see high and low spots around the outside edges of the tire. It should be easiest to see with the tire removed. Rotating the tires will decrease the noise but, the only correct fix is to replace the tire. You can't stop there. Scalloped tires are caused by weak suspension components. In most cases struts, springs, or shock absorbers. An out of balance, flat spotted, or out of round tire could create the same noise.

The pulling problem could be caused by the tire. It would depend on how bad the tire is. The pulling could also be caused by alignment problems or a dragging brake. Compare the left and right wheel brake pads and verify they are worn evenly. If the right side pads are thinner than the left you've found the cause of the pulling. The root cause is most likely either a brake caliper piston that's not releasing or binding slider pins.

xFatcatx
08-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for your help. I'll check it all out tomorrow on my day off. Ill reply.

xFatcatx
08-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the good advice RIP. Nothing major wrong just the tires. I pulled off the front two and there is uneven wair on both but drivers side was worse. I just rotated em and noise and pull are both gone now. Also pads are worn even on both sides and pads themselves. I just went through that with my sisters 98 cavalier with the calibers not releasing all the way and had to replace everything down there. Ill be getting new tires here in about 3-5k, or when they come on sale.......Thanks again, this site is ggggreat!

RIP
08-15-2006, 01:01 AM
Hey that's great news. Might want to think about an alignment check when you get those new tires. There is a reason they weren't worn evenly. Short of that, rotate the tires regularly. Cheers!

Add your comment to this topic!