Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Amount of oil in a 3.8 (1997 PA)

bigsky
08-12-2006, 03:41 PM
What is the correct amout of oil...4.5 or 5 quarts? Most places put 4.5 in mine, though the owner's manual calls for 5 (which does put the level on the dipstick over full. But check this link:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2296/act/usedcarreviewshowall/

Scroll down to the section on "reliability," under "oil consumption," where it states that the dipstick tube on the 1997 is too short and must be replaced. That would account for the over full level on the dipstick when 5 quarts are used.

Garfield2
08-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I have the 1996 PA with basically the same exact engine, 3.8 L. If I use the recommedned filter for it, the Fram PH3387A (Which I would NOT recommend), or any of the other compatible 3387A oil filters, I would put in 4.5 quarts to be exact where it needs to be. I don't think one pint exta in there is in jeporday of any problems, as it has been done on countless thousands of vehicles over the years.

I don't ues the 3387A filter series though, I use the longer filter known as the 3980 and it's equivalent. Mobil 1 makes a great filter as does K&N but I would not put a Fram on my old beater pickup. I'd rather use, and they are not bad either, the Wal-Mart brand of oil filter. Again, I use the longer filter, the 3980 and it's equivalent. It has the same central threads, same oil gasket and is in all respects the same, except for the length. THEN, I can use 5 quarts and it comes up exact.
I don't use Mobil1 synthetic oil as I feel Amsoil is better. http://www.oilsandlube.com/they_say_nothing_outperforms_mob.htm

Mobil1 makes a very good oil, but I prefer others, but would use Mobil1 any day over any conventional Dino oil.:wink:

Alibi
08-12-2006, 08:19 PM
4.5 qts for my series 1

Loekee75
08-13-2006, 03:01 AM
I've put 5 in my dad's "pre-series 1" 91' Les and in my 92' PA...dipstick reads perfect at that amount. The owner's manuals for both vehicles calls for 5 quarts as well.

Alibi
08-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Wierd... I wonder where that extra half qt come from in some cars? Hmm... I know if I put any extra than 4.5 then I've got too much according to the dipstick.

Garfield2
08-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Just fix it Alibi!! LOL just pull out the dipstick, whack off some of the "upper" end and re-attach it back to the pull out stopper/ring and voila.. correct oil on dispstick. Ya can even put in 6 quarts if you trim off enough of the dipstick.. :lol:

Alibi
08-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Just fix it Alibi!! LOL just pull out the dipstick, whack off some of the "upper" end and re-attach it back to the pull out stopper/ring and voila.. correct oil on dispstick. Ya can even put in 6 quarts if you trim off enough of the dipstick.. :lol:

Hey! Thats a great Idea! I can do that to my tranny fluid too! If I cut off about half my dipstick I can fill the rest with lucas trans-slip and never have to worry about my tranny ever again...

6qts of oil....mmm.....oily lubeness for my engine...Maybe it will love me so much for the extra oil that it won't take offense and stall when some fat chick insults my car when I'm giving her a ride home (true story). :icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!