Car runs perfect for 5 minutes then dies?


zjjeepin
08-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi Ya'll,
I have a 1998 eclipse spyder gs 2.4l not turbo, and i am having a serious problem with it. It started when i put a new battery in it. I grounded out my ratchet when tightening the positive post and it blew the 100 amp fusible link in th fuse box. I replaced the fusible link, and the alternator because i though i had fried the diodes in the alternator. I started the car, and it ran perfect for about 5 minutes until it warms up. after that, the car will rev from about 800rpm's to 100ish and almost die out. If you try to rev it back up when it startes idling bad, it will stall out, but if you keep the rev's above 4000 rpm's, it will bnot die at all. I have also replaced the coil and the plug wires. I am at a total loss and cant figure this out anymore! I truly appreciate any input you have on this.
Thanks
Matt:banghead:

jd-autotech
08-11-2006, 10:08 PM
ok there is a fusible link just before the fuse box positive post see if its melted wiggle the wire and check carefully its common this link goes on the post aside of the fuse box

jd-autotech
08-11-2006, 10:10 PM
it is also possible you got a bad battery even though its new swap it with one you know is good let me know how it turns out

jd-autotech
08-11-2006, 10:11 PM
fusible links look like wires and are not found in the fuse box

zjjeepin
08-11-2006, 10:12 PM
where exactly would that fusible link be? Do you know how many amps it is? Also, is it in the fuse box under the hood... liek under the black plastic cover? If that link was dead, dont you think the car wouldnt start at all?
I do know the battery is good... it was an optima that was in another vehicle i own as well...
Thanks for the help so far!
Matt

zjjeepin
08-11-2006, 10:13 PM
the fusible link im talking about is not the in-line one... it is the large plastic ones located in the fuse box under the hood... Possibly mis-worded?

ponchonutty
08-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Well, Mitsu's aren't the kind of cars that can take electrical mistakes. They are bad enough as they are all on their own. You'll have to find out what's causing it to die. Is it fuel or spark? My guess it has to do with something like the O2 sensor or something else that monitors something when it gets warmer.

zjjeepin
08-11-2006, 10:16 PM
o2 sensor wouldnt make it run bad though... just rich right? Coudl it possibly be the MAF sensor? I just cant figure it out because the car runs literally like a new car until it warms up.
Thanks
Matt

jd-autotech
08-11-2006, 10:22 PM
check if there is power at your alternatorand follow it to the fuse box (under the hood and at the end of that wire it should go in to a link and on a positive post next to the fuse box, like maybe a jump point for a car with a hard to get to battery

jd-autotech
08-11-2006, 10:23 PM
yes it will still start and run till the battery completely gives out

zjjeepin
08-11-2006, 10:24 PM
yea, i realize that it will start and run until the battery gives out, but i did test the battery-alternator connection, and the alternator is putting out a charge to the battery... i am so freakin confused with this stupid car..

jd-autotech
08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
youmay want to check with your local mitsu dealer to see if there is an idle relearn proceedure that has to be done after the car looses battery connection

zjjeepin
08-11-2006, 10:34 PM
i have never heard of that before... i will call tomorrow... is there anywhere online i can read up on thaty?

gthompson97
08-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Don't call the dealer, they just rip you a new asshole everytime you deal with them. Have you checked out the IAC or ANY sensors?

There is a computer re-learn procedure, but it's the next 50 key cycles after the computer has been reset, and it's not worth the waste of time anyways, the car still should run somewhat better.

Add your comment to this topic!