97 Z34 problem

bp787
08-19-2002, 04:20 PM
Don't know what happened on the first post. I'll try again. I have three questions about a 97 Z34. Hopefully someone can help...

1. What would cause the airbag light to stay on all the time?
2. What would cause the anti-lock light to stay on...considering that the abs seems to be working?
3. How do I reset the change oil soon light?
Thanks for the help

chriscampbell
08-25-2002, 09:50 PM
1)There is an updated harness for the passenger airbag.2)Could be a number of things for the ABS light to be on, speed sensor,control unit, low voltage(alternator), many possibilities. 3) Oil light ,Turn key on(not running) pump gas pedal to floor 3 quick times the light will start flashing then turn key off and your done. You need to have your car scanned with a scan tool to find out for sure what the problem is with the airbag and abs. Guessing can get very expensive. Hope this helps!!

bp787
08-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Thanks alot for the info. I found a bad gasket that was leading to the ABS light on. checking on the airbag soon.

DAOlsson
09-02-2002, 07:27 AM
Hello 97 Monte Carlo owner.
I have a 95 Monte Carlo that had the same problem with the Anti-Lock
light coming on even though the brake system works. I discovered that in my situation it was caused from the faulty directional signals.
When it was replaced, the light went off. I was told that the computers in our cars are sensitive to anything going wrong and can send a wrong signal to another area. Hope this is of some help.

bp787
09-06-2002, 12:13 PM
Faulty directional signals??? Are you talking turn signals??? or something completely different? After replacing a bad gasket, the light went away for awhile...then came back on :( Ever have a problem with the car starting funny...how about the AC not changing vents when you adjust the switch from say windshield to feet, etc..?
Thanks for the input!

carguy101#2
11-12-2005, 09:33 PM
ok here is my question my cd player in my 97 monte z-34 is locked do you know how to get the code

CEO Wrench
11-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Another thing to check on for the anti-lock brake problem is a relay located under the hood on the driver's side of the car (labeled ABS). This relay is the one closest to the fender; it's about 1" x 1" square. Often, the contacts are dirty or the inside gets corrosion on the contacts and this results in intermittent or steady malfunction. Take the relay out and clean the contacts and the socket it plugs into. If you have a continuity tester, you can (with it removed) apply 12V to the coil part of the relay and then test to see if it closes the circuit contacts.
As for the airbag issue, disconnect the battery and remove the airbag deployment computer from under the passenger seat. Take the cover off and see if there is any corrosion evident. If it looks OK, have it diagnosed by someone having the OBDII scanner.

CEO Wrench
11-15-2005, 12:45 PM
ok here is my question my cd player in my 97 monte z-34 is locked do you know how to get the code

GM Theftlock
- hold down 2&3, write code displayed;hold down AMFM, write code displayed; call a customer-friendly GM dealer or a repair shop and ask them to get you the Theftlock code.

lyndaschat
01-25-2006, 06:10 PM
I have the same anti lock problem and have had it to the chevy dealer here. It goes away for a while, then comes back on again, now along with the brake light coming on and staying on, until I get home. So I never know if I should be concerned or not, if I have a brake problem or not. The dealer claims to have cleaned all out and replaced a pump. If I send my husband under the hood, is there anything else that he can look for? This is kind of dangerous, not knowing if you really do have a brake problem or not, I would think that Chevy would have figured out the problem by now, one way or another?
thanks for any tips, Lynda

Another thing to check on for the anti-lock brake problem is a relay located under the hood on the driver's side of the car (labeled ABS). This relay is the one closest to the fender; it's about 1" x 1" square. Often, the contacts are dirty or the inside gets corrosion on the contacts and this results in intermittent or steady malfunction. Take the relay out and clean the contacts and the socket it plugs into. If you have a continuity tester, you can (with it removed) apply 12V to the coil part of the relay and then test to see if it closes the circuit contacts.
As for the airbag issue, disconnect the battery and remove the airbag deployment computer from under the passenger seat. Take the cover off and see if there is any corrosion evident. If it looks OK, have it diagnosed by someone having the OBDII scanner.

CEO Wrench
01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Lynda:
The brakes will continue to work even if the anti-lock system does not. The brake light coming on could be due to a number of things, all of which the dealer should have checked out properly. If it's intermittent, it is more difficult to diagnose, so when it happens, try to write down the circumstances - like if the car was cold, what speed you were traveling, during a turn, etc. Try cycling the emergency brake to see if the switch is failing, etc. If the brakes feel like they are not working properly, then don't drive the car until the problem is resolved. Otherwise, use caution and try to give a competent mechanic (not necessarily a dealer) as much info as possible.
Good luck!

lyndaschat
01-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Thank you for the advice, maybe you're right and I should go back to a mechanic that I've used with previous cars, rather than the dealer that it was bought from. I just thought that maybe there was a known issue with that car.
Take care, Lynda

Lynda:
The brakes will continue to work even if the anti-lock system does not. The brake light coming on could be due to a number of things, all of which the dealer should have checked out properly. If it's intermittent, it is more difficult to diagnose, so when it happens, try to write down the circumstances - like if the car was cold, what speed you were traveling, during a turn, etc. Try cycling the emergency brake to see if the switch is failing, etc. If the brakes feel like they are not working properly, then don't drive the car until the problem is resolved. Otherwise, use caution and try to give a competent mechanic (not necessarily a dealer) as much info as possible.
Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!