2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee OBD code P1494

divepup
08-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I searched the archives and found a few mentions of this code, but no indication of what it means or how to fix it. It is P1494 - Leal Detection Pump. I need to make a 500 mile trip tomorrow so I called the dealer and they said it was ok to drive.

Can anyone give me more info on what is likely actually wrong and how to fix?

Thanks

Sigrid

fredjacksonsan
08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Don't know personally, but found this online:

P1494 Leak Detect Pumps SW or mechanical fault
Leak Detection Pump (LDP) switch operation is monitored immediately after a cold start, with ambient temperature 40-90 degrees F and engine coolant temperature within 10 degrees F of ambient temperature. DTC will set in Powertrain Control Module (PCM) memory when PCM does not sense a change in switch state when LDP solenoid is energized.
Possible causes are:
Leak or obstruction in LDP vacuum supply.
Defective LDP.
LDP switch senses circuit open, shorted, corroded or defective PCM. The switch connector is a very common problem.So it seems the code is set at startup, when certain temperature parameters are met - which may be why the dealership said it's ok to drive.

Also, there's a really good article about it HERE (http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl010h.htm).

divepup
08-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Thank you Fred - I did an online search and found the article you linked to, but it wasn't exactly in plain english.

The info you posted was very helpful for understanding what it means.

Now I am hoping someone will chime in explaining how to troubleshoot/fix it. I do not trust my local dealer - I have been ripped off a couple of times there.

Thanks!

Edited to add missing word "trust"

fredjacksonsan
08-09-2006, 11:32 AM
I wish I knew more about the system but I don't....and staying away from the ripoff dealer: :thumbsup:

tim454
10-09-2009, 08:40 PM
look for vacuum leak on intake manifold under throttle body.I found 2 of the same lines off on 2 different trucks. This month! Zip tie works well to keep it on!!

Add your comment to this topic!