Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 S10 advice

gilleyman
08-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Hello all, I looking at a 1989 S10 short box p/u with the 4.3 eng...The guy wants 1800.00 firm...It has 189,000 miles with a lot of new parts...The truck is tight with no rust and good chrome...

new alternator
fuel pump and filter
battery
cap, rotor, wires
motor mounts
just passed emissions

Is this a good price??

Thanks for your input and time....

anton!o
08-15-2006, 02:05 AM
id just be asking why it has new motor mounts... the only way to change motor mounts would be to pull the motor... and why would he have to do this?

rlith
08-15-2006, 07:26 AM
id just be asking why it has new motor mounts... the only way to change motor mounts would be to pull the motor... and why would he have to do this?

You don't have to pull the motor to change motor mounts at all, simply jack up the engine by 2 or 3 inches... That said, our trucks are known to have bad motor mounts...

hangun61
08-15-2006, 12:55 PM
I can only speak for the '96 S10, but I would highly recommend this model truck to anyone. My '96 has almost 100k on it and I have had only minor issues to deal with. A very reliable and tough truck.
1800 sounds rather cheap, though. Make sure all the repairs are legit, and check with www.kbb.com and see what they say. If everything checks out, I'd say it's a good deal. Just my humble opinion...

Techyon
08-15-2006, 02:14 PM
I'd say if its a Solid truck, OK. But FIRST check these problem points.
I could be considered one of the S10 kings here in western Pa.. I currently own 4... plus several parts trucks..

Check the front Cab mounts. these are typical on these trucks and another bad spot is on the frame.
The Frames go bad at the Rear shacklemounts.
If you look underneath the rearend of the truck on the inside of the framerail you will see a piece of metal that runs to the top and bottom of the C channel. Make sure that IS intact.
I have 2 trucks now with bad frames. This is NOT uncommon for these frames to go bad here.

Here's my toy, aka Stomper.

http://clanmage.net/~techyon/Techs_Garage/Stomper/stomper_1.JPG

Joe Wilson
08-05-2007, 09:28 PM
You might check under the vehicle especially at the back for rust. I had a real nice looking 91 S10 but underneath it looked like a rust bucket, I didn't figure it was worth the effort to repair.

ZL1power69
08-07-2007, 10:40 PM
joe, this thread is a year old. please refrain from posting in old threads.

Add your comment to this topic!