Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Consumption

krushmoto
08-08-2006, 02:12 PM
I have a 99 GC Sport 3.8L w/ 85K miles. I use 5W30 Pennzoil synthetic oil with Fram Double Guard filters. I only use this car on the weekends but every now and again when I check the oil it needs a quart of oil. there are no leaks that I know of (checked under car, valve covers, etc) and no oil burning. Yet it still needs a quart. I usually check the oil once a month or so ( + or - a few weeks). Any suggestions on what might be causing the consumption.
Have a friend that also has a GC Sport 3.3L and he says that his car also consumes about a quart but then again his car is driven every day.
So I'm at a loss.

RIP
08-08-2006, 02:52 PM
I've read most car manufactures will tell you adding a quart of oil every 3000 miles is normal. I've got a 96 GC with the 3.8ltr and 190K miles and I'm adding about half a quart between changes.

If you're outside of that range you may have a problem. If you don't see oil in the coolant and white smoke then the headgaskets, heads and block should be ok. My guess is the engine is burning it probably through worn rings or cyclinder walls. If the oil is burning in small amounts you may not see the smoke out the tailpipe. You'd be most likely to see it when decelerating from high speeds. A compression check could reveal the problem - if there is one.

lansdowne
08-08-2006, 08:00 PM
I've read most car manufactures will tell you adding a quart of oil every 3000 miles is normal. I've got a 96 GC with the 3.8ltr and 190K miles and I'm adding about half a quart between changes.

If you're outside of that range you may have a problem. If you don't see oil in the coolant and white smoke then the headgaskets, heads and block should be ok. My guess is the engine is burning it probably through worn rings or cyclinder walls. If the oil is burning in small amounts you may not see the smoke out the tailpipe. You'd be most likely to see it when decelerating from high speeds. A compression check could reveal the problem - if there is one.

I have a 2001 Caravan with 108 KM (Canadian) on the engine. I have just noticed that the oil on the stick is at the minimum line. There is NO sign of oil leaking on the ground or anything like that or no sign of any white smoke etc etc...so I also wonder what might be the anaswer.
Thanks Lansdowne

lansdowne
08-12-2006, 07:41 AM
JUst as a follow up......I'm far from an expert on motors etc.....is it really not unusual to have to add a quart on occasion? I have had the Caravan for about a year and a half and this is the first time I have noticed that it was down on the stick to the minimum point. Always concerned about such things..... car worry wart that I am.
Thanks...lansdowne

Bernard Feltzer
08-14-2006, 06:04 AM
I had a 1990 Ply GV with 3.3 that made it to 165,000 miles.
It never consumed oil between changes which were every 3000 miles including a new filter.
The only time I had to add a quart of oil was when I drove non-stop on the highway from St. Loius Missouri to Lexington, Kentucky. I always used 5W-30 name brand oils which were on sale at auto parts store. Usually Pennzoil or Havoline, one time Texaco.

Add your comment to this topic!