Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Blocking inside vents...

Hellbilly
08-08-2006, 12:49 PM
I gota 89 S-10 Blazer (4.3-4x4-Auto) and its blowing out hot air out of the floor vents..Im fixing to take a vacation and I wana know if there is anyway to shut these off..Its hot enough outside lol

If thers noway to do this then, would it be ok to just shove rags into them and plug'm up?

BlazerLT
08-08-2006, 01:04 PM
do you have the controls to off and the fan off?

s10blazerman4x4
08-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Don't shove rags in there. I had this same problem with my cutlass 2.5. All this will do is divert the air to the vents on the dash. We found out that there was a blockage in the heater core hose and it was building up pressure and was letting off steam into the vehicle. When this pressure built up and finally took out the heater core problem solved no more hot air into car. So what i am getting at is you are probally headed towards heater core failure.

Also have you checked the AF? I know with mine there was some debris in the overflow like a sludge type thing and what finally did my core in was i had it flushed twice and more sludge got free thus completely blocking the hose.

jhong1226
08-09-2006, 12:28 AM
your heater control has vacuum lines behind it, make sure those are ok and then there should be a cable attached to your heater/ac lever, make sure it is still attached.
pull the ac/heat controls out then youl see these things

Hellbilly
08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
LT: Both is off

** I did pull the controlls and it looks that my cable is broken...Not the cable itself but, where it attches to the controll box...Im going to try and locate a new one..Im the meentime can, i like take pliers and pull on the cable and try and get it to shut off?

BlazerLT
08-09-2006, 09:45 PM
LT: Both is off

** I did pull the controlls and it looks that my cable is broken...Not the cable itself but, where it attches to the controll box...Im going to try and locate a new one..Im the meentime can, i like take pliers and pull on the cable and try and get it to shut off?

Sure, but make sure you see the range of motion, you don't want to yank it too far.

old_master
08-09-2006, 09:47 PM
I gota 89 S-10 Blazer (4.3-4x4-Auto) and its blowing out hot air out of the floor vents..Im fixing to take a vacation and I wana know if there is anyway to shut these off..Its hot enough outside lol

If thers noway to do this then, would it be ok to just shove rags into them and plug'm up?

When the HVAC controls are set to "OFF" on an 89, the HVAC system defaults to allow fresh air through the cabin for ventilation. You can adjust the temperature of the air by sliding the temperature lever. Replace the cable and you will be able to close the temperature blend door completely and allow only outside air for ventilation.

jhong1226
08-10-2006, 12:25 AM
dont pull the cable, it will open the vent from your heater core!
Push it back to shut the vent flap to your heater core.

Add your comment to this topic!