Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Supra TT, Corvette Z06, VR-4 Spyder, NSX, or Elise?

RX-7 Steve
08-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Below is a list of cars, one of which will be sharing the garage with my RX-7 twin-turbo in the not too distant future. Which of these cars would you choose and why?

http://www.fast-autos.com/Assets/supra4.jpg

I like the twin-turbo Supra's; they are classic, fun to drive, rare, and have good value as a collector's-peice (the same reasons why I bought an RX-7)

http://www.ronalusa.com/cars/chevy_corvette_c5/steves_z06_01.jpg

I love the C5 Corvette as well. I have driven the C5 Z06 and also find it a very fun car to drive, and I think it looks alot better than the Supra.

http://www.3000gtspyder.com/spyder/forsale/Kaycies%20Dance%20recital%20June%202002%20and%20Sp yder%20015.jpg

I have never even seen a 3000GT VR-4 Spyder, but I have always been a fan of the VR-4's. Though the 3000GT is not as fun to drive as the Supra or Corvette (but still fun), the Spyders are very rare and collectable, and I love the retractable hardtop.

http://www.damox.com/cars/thumbs/Acura/2001_Acura_NSX_T.jpg

I do not know too much about the Honda/Acura NSX nor have I ever driven one, but I think it is a rather attractive vehicle.

http://www.tygriss.com/blog/uploaded_images/2005%20Lotus%20Elise%20Saffron%20Yellow%20-%201-718819.jpg

I love the Lotus Elise. The design is so alien and artistic, and they are one of the funnest cars I've ever driven.

BlackGT2000
08-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Go for the vette. Its the best performer of the group, and I just like them. Actually I am in the early stages of shopping for a C5 myself.

RX-7 Steve
08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Cheverolet Corvette (as you can tell by my sig.). Corvettes have a great lineage, they sound great, run great, and look great.

Dyno247365
08-07-2006, 11:06 PM
I'd say the vette or the NSX. Didn't Harvey Keitel have an NSX in Pulp Fiction? That makes it cool.

DinanM3_S2
08-08-2006, 12:44 AM
It all depends what you want this car for. If you plan on driving this car often I would suggest the NSX. Its always been considered the usable supercar. Styling wise it is a cut above the Corvette, 3kGT, and Supra. The car ignorant will confuse it for a Ferrari. Plus it is a Honda, so it probably won't break down very often. The Senna developed chassis is one of the best in the world. This will probably handle the best of the group (except maybe the Elise). The 2 disadvantages of the NSX is that it isn't as powerful as the Vette or theoretically the Supra with a few mods and that it is hard to work on given its mid-engined nature.

If you decide your RX8 handles well enough and you want a straight line car you've got to decide between N/A and F/I, Corvette and Supra. An age old arguement that I won't get into.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go NSX.

RX-7 Steve
08-08-2006, 12:53 AM
^Hey, I drive an RX-7, not an RX-8! :nono: Big difference. :iceslolan

k3smostwanted
08-08-2006, 01:07 AM
hm...toughy. its definitely between the elise, NSX, and Z06 in my eyes.

beings the FD does the same thing that elise does (light numble, quick around a track, etc) i would probably sount that out. the NSX and Z06 or more of GT cars for comfort with high track speeds.

i would probably go with a C5 Z06 and throw a proven supercharger kit on it. i dont know why...but i have fallen for the C5 vette and it is high up on my list for my next car. :D

good luck...all great choice. but you have the ultimate decision and i would try to fulfill your wants that your RX7 does not fulfill.

if you want to get into autocross and tracking...get the Elise. if you want a high top speed comfotable GT cruiser that can man handle other cars on a open track, get the NSX. if you want brute force and still handle well above par, get the vette. if you want a dyno queen or attract attention from fast and the furious fans, get the supra. if you want a collector's item that would be better off sitting in the garage, id go for the convertible VR-4.

PlayStation3
08-08-2006, 02:27 AM
if you plan to keep it stock any thing but the supra and the 3k gt.

if you are only going with looks then the lotus. if you are looking for good old american power then the z06

G-man422
08-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Either an NSX (great handling, which i can tell you like because you have an RX-7) Or a vette because they are just a great value all around.

RX-7 Steve
08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Either an NSX (great handling, which i can tell you like because you have an RX-7) Or a vette because they are just a great value all around.

I'm gonna have to drive an NSX to see how they perform. The Corvette handles really good too, and the Lotus handles like God. The Corvette probably is the best all-around performer.

G-man422
08-08-2006, 11:24 AM
^ yeah, most deffinately test the NSX. Have you driven an elise yet?

thrasher
08-08-2006, 11:29 AM
If you decide your RX8 handles well enough and you want a straight line car you've got to decide between N/A and F/I, Corvette and Supra. An age old arguement that I won't get into.

ZO6 is NOT a straight line car, and it will embarass many a high end Eurpoean sports cars in the twisties, including the much touted E46 M3.

Personally, I'd narrow it down to the Zo6, NSX, and Elise. The NSX would probably get the boot first for lack of power. It then comes down to what you can live with. Is this an everyday car, or a weekend warrior. I haven't driven an Elise, but I can guarantee they'd be way more fun to drive than the Corvette, but far more punishing to live with on the streets. In any case, you can't lose, that's a great list of cars, and you'll have fun with any one of them.:ylsuper:

RX-7 Steve
08-08-2006, 11:29 AM
^ yeah, most deffinately test the NSX. Have you driven an elise yet?

Yeah, I've driven an Elise (look at the text under the pic of the Elise :rolleyes: ). I drove one around Red River Gorge. The roads down there are so windy and full of various types of turns. That was a fun drive.

G-man422
08-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Sweet, well let me know how the NSX handles if you end up testing one out.

RX-7 Steve
08-08-2006, 11:37 AM
^I went to the Acura dealership a while back, but they didn't have an NSX there.

blakscorpion21
08-08-2006, 01:27 PM
hmm, tough choice alot of great cars here. but in order id pick

1. supra tt:
pros:its rare, has alot of potential, looks stunning imo, and it has toyota reliability. plus maybe im a little biased. :D
cons: some dont like the looks, a bit on the portly side.
2. nsx:
pros: ever rarer than the supra, has prolly the best looks of the group, and is a great track car.
cons: least powerful, most expensive.
3. elise:
pros: also a great looking car, a track monster, toyota reliability, good gas mileage for such a fast car.
cons: lacks all the luxuries many drivers prefer, some dont like the high revving nature ot toyotas 2zzge engine.
4. corvette:
pros: a good all around car, bargain price, nice looks, good preformance.
cons: old man retirement mobile, too common, least refined.
5. 3000gt:
pros: awd, good looks, fairly cheap. good preformance.
cons: unreliable, convertible, non-convertible modles are the most common car on the list, very heavy.

any of these cars would be a damn fine choice though.

G-man422
08-08-2006, 01:31 PM
^ the elise is reliable? News to me. I thought it was the worst because its safty/reliability standards arnt the same as the usa.

TatII
08-08-2006, 03:52 PM
i'd definitly get the NSX or the Z06 also. but i'd lean more towards the NSX since its more of a classic. the C5 Z06 seems to be living in the C6 Z06's shadow. but if you have a NSX it will always be the NSX.

plus you can turn your RX-7 into a rocket, and leave the NSX as the mild manner car. but it doesn't take much to make a NSX very very fast. when nissanfanatic went to his local track, there was a turbo charged nsx running low boost ( 7 psi ) and it ran 11's @ 127mph.

a nsx with 250whp will trap 110mph. so food for thought.

G-man422
08-08-2006, 04:21 PM
^ Thats pretty damn good for 7psi.

RX-7 Steve
08-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Okay, according to the poll so far the NSX is getting the most votes (3). The Supra and Corvette are tied with 2. The Elise is close behind (1) and no-one has voted for the VR-4 Spyder yet.

drunken monkey
08-08-2006, 08:25 PM
i always find it hard to say no to an NSX.
a bit pricey but don't forget that it was more or less a hand built car and you don't get many of them to the pound.

if it was a question of getting a car purely for fun then it has to be the elise because in reality, no one can really live with having to mambo into the seat and then twist your knee and dislocate your hip to get out every day.
and trust me, i'm a small chinese guy and I have issues getting in and out.
if the car is going to see semi-day to day use, then if you are even thinking about an elise, you'd still be better off with the NSX. It does everything the Elise can do but with more power. Slightly snappier rear end but most people never find the limits of the rear, especially with the updated suspension of the facelifted models, unless you deliberately go looking.

del
08-08-2006, 08:25 PM
if it weren't a ZO6, i'd have voted for the NSX pretty easily. but the C5 ZO6, even if it is in the shadows of the C6 ZO6, is still one hell of a performer, not to mention a bargain. doesn't have the finesse or refinement of the nsx, but for pure brute muscle, you can't beat it.

VR43000GT
08-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I guess I'll stick up for the VR4 Spyder. lol The Spyder is a hefty guy weighing 4000lbs but it is a fav of mine. Its also very rare as most of them are. In fact I see an Elise more often than a VR4 spyder. But I like all of them but would probably have to go with a NSX just due to its track performance and good looks.

blakscorpion21
08-08-2006, 11:14 PM
^ the elise is reliable? News to me. I thought it was the worst because its safty/reliability standards arnt the same as the usa.

well, the engine is toyota so its reliable. idk about the rest of the car but i wouldnt imagine too many problems as it is pretty simplistic and to the point, no fancy electronics or anything. i never said it was safe though lol.

DinanM3_S2
08-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Personally, I'd narrow it down to the Zo6, NSX, and Elise. The NSX would probably get the boot first for lack of power

2. nsx:
pros: ever rarer than the supra, has prolly the best looks of the group, and is a great track car.
cons: least powerful, most expensive.

Why does everyone keep saying that the NSX is the least powerful?
NSX: 270-290hp (depending on the year)
Elise 111R: 189hp

Praise of the NSX by those that know more then us-

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly. Gordon Murray knows. Rowan Atkinson knows. It's the Honda NSX. "
-Jeremy Clarkson

"Back in the early 90’s, my everyday transport for six years was a Honda NSX... Honda gave the world its first practical, well made, rear mid-engined supercar... The NSX had good torsional rigidity, lightweight forged aluminum suspension, clever subframes for ride compliance, and fit and finish good enough to make other manufactures weep into their quality manuals... the 430 is a milestone in the history of the sports car, certainly the best car Ferrari has made. It also owes some of its success to the humble NSX – another sports car with a secure place in automotive history."
-Gordon Murray (F1 Car designer for Brabham and McLaren-Honda, McLaren F1 head designer, EVO magazine writer)

TatII
08-09-2006, 12:13 AM
for those saying hte nsx is not fast enough straightline. look at this video of a 270hp nsx with very little bolt ons running thru its first 2 gears ( 2nd takes you to almost 100mph ) this proves my point that it takes very very little power to make a nsx very quick in a straightline.

if i raced this nsx it would definitly beat me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be3HRziG7Zc

G-man422
08-09-2006, 06:53 AM
And thats a '93! Hey, RX-7 Steve, if you get an NSX, what years were you considering?

RX-7 Steve
08-09-2006, 08:53 AM
^As I said, I don't know too much about the NSX, but I like the one in the picture with the pop-up headlights.

98BlackTransAm
08-09-2006, 08:54 AM
i voted for the elise because it's just as quick, if not quicker, than the c5 and nsx in performance, and you see a lot more nsx's and c5's around than lotus elises. plus i'm sure the elise is a lot more fun to drive than the other cars being so light and it handles better too. so for versatility, rarity, and performance, that's my vote.

PlayStation3
08-09-2006, 02:14 PM
i think the elise will look better next to the rx-7 then all of the others

BlackGT2000
08-09-2006, 04:01 PM
The elise is too small for anyone to be comfortable in for more than a few minutes. I have heard insane maintenence costs on the NSX though, even though they are known to be relatively reliable. Just remember that when something goes wrong it will cost you with that car.

drunken monkey
08-09-2006, 04:23 PM
dont believe all the scares about nsx maintenance being expensive.
year to year (day to day) costs are going to be on par with any other honda.
servicing shouldn't be more than £150-200 and not much goes wrong with them. In anycase, if you are buying an early model, then any problems that crop up would've already been done (or at least should've been done).
The only naughty bits are the clutch+flywheel and its appetite for tyres.

98BlackTransAm
08-09-2006, 06:43 PM
dont believe all the scares about nsx maintenance being expensive.
year to year (day to day) costs are going to be on par with any other honda.
servicing shouldn't be more than £150-200 and not much goes wrong with them. In anycase, if you are buying an early model, then any problems that crop up would've already been done (or at least should've been done).
The only naughty bits are the clutch+flywheel and its appetite for tyres.

maintenance isn't a huge issue, but the car itself is overpriced for the power you get out of it. some of the other cars are a lot more reasonably priced and have similar 1/4 miles.

drunken monkey
08-09-2006, 07:04 PM
then again, i personally think that the car is worth it.
put it this way, as i keep trying to remind people, when the car was fresh on showroom floors, it's direct competitor was the ferrari 348 and that was more costly and if the press is to be believed, not half the car the nsx is.
right now, you can spend £20,000 in a very good condition nsx or £35-40,000 on a 348.

how is the nsx overpriced and underpowered?

so what about 1/4 mile?
the NSX is a car designed with half an eye on the racing track.
Anyone remember that japanese vid where the old man in the NSX (type-r) was hustling lamborghinis murcie and gallardo, not to mention downright beating an M3 and, if i recall correctly, a 996 turbo.
That's not even mentioning that it took a blocking manouver from the Murcie to prevent the NSX from taking the corner and winning.

let's see, 280ish bhp NSX beating a 338bhp M3 and 414bhp 4WD 996 turbo, 580BHP murcie and 500bhp gallardo.
what was that about it not being worth what you get out of it?

G-man422
08-09-2006, 07:55 PM
^ good points. the NSX is a high quality car.

del
08-09-2006, 08:19 PM
maintenance isn't a huge issue, but the car itself is overpriced for the power you get out of it. some of the other cars are a lot more reasonably priced and have similar 1/4 miles.

too many people think it's all about power power and power. not the case. the nsx can outperform many cars more powerful than it and more expensive than it. the car has essentially remained the same for what, 15 or so years? yet it can hold still its own quite well against brand new cars twice as powerful as it. how many other cars can you say the same thing about?

98BlackTransAm
08-10-2006, 12:51 AM
1991 Acura NSX 5.8 14.4
1992 Acura NSX 5.6 13.9
1993 Acura NSX 5.6 13.9
1994 Acura NSX 5.3 13.6
1996 Acura NSX 5.2 13.8
1996 Acura NSX-T 5.8 14.3
1997 Acura NSX-T 4.8 13.3
2001 Acura NSX V6 4.5 12.9 (C&D TV 2001)
2002 Acura NSX 4.8 13.4

............for $89,000??? um, thanks but i'll spend my money on something else :disappoin

k3smostwanted
08-10-2006, 02:28 AM
1991 Acura NSX 5.8 14.4
1992 Acura NSX 5.6 13.9
1993 Acura NSX 5.6 13.9
1994 Acura NSX 5.3 13.6
1996 Acura NSX 5.2 13.8
1996 Acura NSX-T 5.8 14.3
1997 Acura NSX-T 4.8 13.3
2001 Acura NSX V6 4.5 12.9 (C&D TV 2001)
2002 Acura NSX 4.8 13.4

............for $89,000??? um, thanks but i'll spend my money on something else :disappoin

yes, go spend you're money on something else. you're asking a car to be the best at something the engineers had no intentions of it doing. if you havent noticed, everywhere but america...cars are built with track in mind, not going straight. i am sure honda could give a rat's a** what is faster in the 1/4 mile than their MR sports coupe built to be one of the baddest track cars under $100k. c'mon...

you guys' complaining about the NSX is getting old. it is like me buying a motorcycle and whining because i can't drive it through 5 feet of snow. so why complain about a car because it is built for something you don't like?

BlackGT2000
08-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Well I live in america, so 1/4 mile times go a long way with me.

GForce957
08-10-2006, 12:21 PM
i voted for the elise because it's just as quick, if not quicker, than the c5 and nsx in performance, and you see a lot more nsx's and c5's around than lotus elises. plus i'm sure the elise is a lot more fun to drive than the other cars being so light and it handles better too. so for versatility, rarity, and performance, that's my vote.

I think the elise is that fast because of its low weight. Going from a roll it would not hold up as well compared to a Z06.

I personally would go for either the elise or the c5 z06. If u are going to use this as pretty much a daily driver, or you want to mod it a fair bit, corvette. Otherwise I would get an elise.

k3smostwanted
08-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Well I live in america, so 1/4 mile times go a long way with me.

but some people act like the NSX is inferior because it doesn't blaze the 1/4 mile but yet it will stomp almost all american cars on a road course.

BlackGT2000
08-10-2006, 06:25 PM
I agree that the NSX has its place (in which it is excellent) but i guess its just not my bag of tea.

98BlackTransAm
08-10-2006, 06:43 PM
I agree that the NSX has its place (in which it is excellent) but i guess its just not my bag of tea.

yup, likewise, which is why i drive an f-body.

ezeedee
08-10-2006, 11:26 PM
elise 100% cant beat it on this side of 100k.

BlackGT2000
08-11-2006, 05:30 AM
elise 100% cant beat it on this side of 100k.

I wouldn't go that far, below 100 K I can think of at least 4 cars right off the top of my head that will kick its ass.

G-man422
08-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Ariel atom. Its cheap and can woop every car on that list ( actually it can out accelorate the McLaren f1, Enzo, and Koenigsegg), but I think its only street legal in the US if you buy it in Kit form and assemble it yourself.
http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPic=y&source=car&id=45&p=45-1.jpg&y=2000&m=Ariel&o=Atom
Heres a picture of it.

Jimster
08-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Have you considered a mid 1990's Porsche 911 Carrera? They're fantastic cars, also the last 911 before the character was all lost.

Of those, however I am going with the NSX. It's practical (unlike the Elise) well built (Unlike the Corvette), nimble (Unlike the VR4) and pretty (Unlike the Supra). Basically it's a melting pot of the best qualities from the every class of car.

RX-7 Steve
08-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Jimster, actually I was just looking at a mid '90's Porche 911 in Autotrader. I haven't driven one yet, but I think they are classy automobiles; I love the bulgous rear-fenders.

stamar
08-16-2006, 12:50 AM
a low mileage nsx was for sale in my area recently for i think around 30k and it didnt sell for a long time.

But that would be pretty incredible. I mean Id rather have one than a 911 unquestionably. I mean its a much more expensive car lol and it goes for less on the used market when you find one. I mean I guess its all about value....

now theres gonna be some serious problems with owning such a rare car but Id take them on. How often does one go up for sale though? quite a project finding one. Of those vehicles its the most expensive so hy wouldnt you want that one?

dollars have to factor in somewhere.

drunken monkey
08-26-2006, 07:20 PM
stop bumping up the thread.

RX-7 Steve
08-26-2006, 08:07 PM

Who are you talking to?

blakscorpion21
08-26-2006, 08:37 PM
every time someone votes the thread gets bumped. starmars post was like a week ago.

stamar
08-27-2006, 03:38 PM

whats so great is I got an email for it too.

I do think thats the most retarded forum post ever. Where do I go nominate people for the most retarded post ever?

drunken monkey
08-27-2006, 06:40 PM
whats so great is I got an email for it too.

I do think thats the most retarded forum post ever. Where do I go nominate people for the most retarded post ever?

oh, i am ever so sorry.
I assumed that the thread starter had read the very first sticky (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=367288) in this forum and noted that all polls are to be limited to 10 days.
Where do i go to alert people of instances where forum guidelines (that includes being rude and disrespectful to other members) are broken?

oh yeah, that'd be the mod's corner.
:rolleyes:

stamar
08-29-2006, 01:03 AM
oh, i am ever so sorry.
I assumed that the thread starter had read the very first sticky (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=367288) in this forum and noted that all polls are to be limited to 10 days.
Where do i go to alert people of instances where forum guidelines (that includes being rude and disrespectful to other members) are broken?

oh yeah, that'd be the mod's corner.
:rolleyes:

HEEHEE

Ok well I understand everything then:screwy:

You must be looking for the rocket science forum. Its needs some more moderation I think....

kachok25
08-30-2006, 10:39 AM
The NSX is the most refined
The ZO6 is the fastest in a streight line
The 3000GT is everday driving fun
The Elise is awsome on the track
And the Supra is a very good combo of all of the above that is why it is my choice.

Add your comment to this topic!