99 Lumina LTZ rear brake lights no work, center light does

maxman
08-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Reading the postings, I think my problem is the multifunction switch. Everything works OK. Flashers, running lights, etc, but not the brake lights. Fuse and bulbs OK. Where is the multifunction switch? Inside the steering column under the steering wheel? The button to push to turn the flashers on is broken off. To use the flashers, I have to reach inside the column with a finger and push. Is this related to, or the same as, the multifunction switch?

Blue Bowtie
08-08-2006, 10:13 AM
That button on top of the column for the hazard flashers is part of the switch. If the hazard switch doesn't release fully, the brake lights will not work. The CHMSL is fed from a separate circuit, bypassing the turn/hazard switch.

Supergumby
08-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Yup, sounds like the turn signal switch is worn out.

It's inside the column, under the steering wheel. Takes a couple of special tools to change on a '99. You'll need a wheel puller and a lock plate compressor.

When you go to get your new switch, make sure you get a new hazard button - it is not part of the switch; it snaps onto the top of the switch.

richtazz
08-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Don't forget to tell them whether you have steering wheel accessory controls, as it's a different switch depending on if it does or not.

Joe Driver
09-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Options: Have dealer replace switch $300 or more.
Do it your self ... switch costs $70 to over $100, need a steering wheel puller, have to pull the air bag, yada yada yada

Fix it your self with less than $10 worth of parts: Go to a junk yard and get a light pigtail from most any GM product about the same year. I got several and was charged $1 each. Pull your tail light. Look just inside of the original light and there is a "V" that is wide enough and has the clearance for your new pigtail. Take one of the pigtails you just got and using a dremel tool, cut off the "tangs". Use this as a guide to make the whole for it (about 1" if I remember). Once you have the hole about the right size, use your dremel tool to make the holes for the "tangs". Put a screw in the rear of the trunk where the light attaches and ground the new pigtail. Run a wire from the third brake light to each new pigtail and ... you're done ... FOR EVER. From the rear, it looks like exactly like the original set up.
I can provide more detailed instructions and can provide pictures if anyone wants, just email me.

maxwedge
09-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Options: Have dealer replace switch $300 or more.
Do it your self ... switch costs $70 to over $100, need a steering wheel puller, have to pull the air bag, yada yada yada

Fix it your self with less than $10 worth of parts: Go to a junk yard and get a light pigtail from most any GM product about the same year. I got several and was charged $1 each. Pull your tail light. Look just inside of the original light and there is a "V" that is wide enough and has the clearance for your new pigtail. Take one of the pigtails you just got and using a dremel tool, cut off the "tangs". Use this as a guide to make the whole for it (about 1" if I remember). Once you have the hole about the right size, use your dremel tool to make the holes for the "tangs". Put a screw in the rear of the trunk where the light attaches and ground the new pigtail. Run a wire from the third brake light to each new pigtail and ... you're done ... FOR EVER. From the rear, it looks like exactly like the original set up.
I can provide more detailed instructions and can provide pictures if anyone wants, just email me. Just out of curiosity wouldn't the 3rd brake lite now flash with the signals, I believe the same element in the stop bulb acts as the signal and stop lite, so wouldn't this feed back into the 3rd brake lite?

bstrom1953
09-16-2006, 09:06 PM
His idea will work. He is adding another light and connecting it to the center brake light circuit, totally seperate from the turn/brake light.

The bigger problem is that the multifunction switch will continue to wear. Which lights will be next to quit? The turn signals will probably quit next as the switch falls apart completely. My brake lights quit and I found the tabs that hold the rotating pieces together were more than half way worn through. I built them up with small wire two years ago and it's still working.

Joe Driver
09-17-2006, 05:56 PM
bstrom: You are correct. Eventually the switch will totally fail. However, this "fix" will probably last for quite some time, and the cost is minimal even if I do have to replace the switch.

Just trying to save $$$ and make it last a little longer. :banghead:

maxwedge: It works just fine, but as bstrom pointed out, it will eventually have to be replaced. I just didn't have the $$$ right now.

maxwedge
09-17-2006, 08:35 PM
bstrom: You are correct. Eventually the switch will totally fail. However, this "fix" will probably last for quite some time, and the cost is minimal even if I do have to replace the switch.

Just trying to save $$$ and make it last a little longer. :banghead:

maxwedge: It works just fine, but as bstrom pointed out, it will eventually have to be replaced. I just didn't have the $$$ right now.
I see, didn't pickout you were isolating a seperate lite to work only from the 3rd lite.

maxman
09-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Done deal. The idea of tapping into the center light was interesting, and I gave it much thought and kicked it around awhile. Overall, it seemed kinda "hack". Spent $75 dollars on the switch, had to fab a puller and a compressor, but it is done. Total time, about 4 hours. I keep scrap chunks of steel around the garage to make the special tools as required. It is good to put it to use.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!

SpiffWilkie
01-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know that part number from autozone of the multifunction switch? I have a 99 Lumina without the radio controls (or whatever controls it is) on the wheel.

Thanks

SpiffWilkie
01-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Nevermind, found the part. Not too hard to install. It was $50 for the switch and I used Autozone's loaner tools. Hardest parts were getting off the dang retaining clips :p (and figuring out I had to remove that bolt to unhook the wiring harness...)

Took about two hours for me to do it and I'm *very* inexperienced with this sort of thing.

wghmotors
12-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks, For the help on my 98 Lumina turn signal switch. I replaced the switch using a great web site tss.likeabigdog.com. Great procedure to do this repair. Once again my computer has proved to be best tool in my garage to repair my vehicle.

maxwedge
12-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Welcome to AF, how did you tag onto this old thread, were you the original OP? Send me a PM, as I am closing this one.

Add your comment to this topic!