Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Crown Vic, Police Interceptor- Headlight Problem

96P71
08-07-2006, 08:37 PM
My 96 Crown Vic PI has served me well unitl recently:) . When I have the headlights on, occasionally they will turn on and off very repidly. If I turn the Headlight switch off and turn it back on it seems to cure it for a few weeks. It doesn't seem to happen during a specific time, temperature, etc. It also happens when the headlight switch is set to auto on.

Another issue, possibly related, is that when I use the "flash to pass" I hear a slight buzzing noise. This also affects the wipers if they are on.

I really appreciate the help everyone here seems to offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:grinyes:

Johnny Mullet
08-07-2006, 09:26 PM
The headlight switch may have a loose connection or is getting bad from heat/age. I would check that first.

96P71
08-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Checked the connector, no signs of melting, burning, or otherwise discoloration. It seems to sit pretty snuggly in the switch too. I took it apart and cleaned the pins just to be sure. Unfortunately the lights turned on and off before.

fleettech
08-08-2006, 10:34 PM
probably the multi function (signal light,wiper.dimmer) switch very common problem easy to change but costly to just throw at it without knowing for sure.

krewl1
08-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Not sure if your model has it but on our 98 vic it turned out to be our LCM (lighting control module).

raziullah007
11-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Just a fruitful thought! Can't hurt to bother with this!
Have you recently put in new lightbulbs?? If you have, and if you have bought the HID and other "bright" performance lamps (bulbs), this could be it. I personally put higher wattage so-called "performance" bulbs in my 99 P71 police interceptor cruiser (NOT A CROWN VIC!!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :nono: )----i hate when peopel call it crown vic...anyway) and it started to blink out on me. Check that out just to be sure.

Stale Trooper
03-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Just a fruitful thought! Can't hurt to bother with this!
Have you recently put in new lightbulbs?? If you have, and if you have bought the HID and other "bright" performance lamps (bulbs), this could be it. I personally put higher wattage so-called "performance" bulbs in my 99 P71 police interceptor cruiser (NOT A CROWN VIC!!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :nono: )----i hate when peopel call it crown vic...anyway) and it started to blink out on me. Check that out just to be sure.

FLEETTECH - Is there a fix for this? I have a new set of headlight assemblies ready to install, am I going to have this same problem?

Add your comment to this topic!