Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel filter problem

SyrianMafioso
08-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Ive been an avid reader on this forum for a few years now... you guys are mechanic geniuses for real.
Now on to the real deal... as far as changing my fuel filter is concerned (On a 97 LS), I'm stumped as to how to remove the filter from the bracket that mounts it onto the frame. Yes I know its a simple problem but I cant for the life of me figure it out.
I used a 13mm to unscrew the bracket from the frame, but the bracket seems to be all in one piece around the filter and the piping overhead, with no release or anything.

BlazerLT
08-07-2006, 08:53 PM
The holder snaps into the fuel and brake lines above, just remove them bolts holding it on the fame remove the tubing going to and from the filter and pull down, the hold will come with the filter.

doeyh
08-08-2006, 08:56 AM
The holder snaps into the fuel and brake lines above, just remove them bolts holding it on the fame remove the tubing going to and from the filter and pull down, the hold will come with the filter.

Exactly...
The holder fits filter tight.
A few drops of used oil will help get it in.

SyrianMafioso
08-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks a lot... but now how am I to remove the old filter from its holder and slide the new one in there?

BlazerLT
08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Hammer the old one out.

Then grease the new one and slip it on.

SyrianMafioso
08-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Much simpler than I was makin it seem... Thank you homeys I appreciate it

mike2004tct
08-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Hammer the old one out.

Then grease the new one and slip it on.

Unless it's really rusted in there bad, on '97s they just snap fit into the bracket.

Remove the pinch/squeeze connector off the forward facing fitting first, then use 2 wrenches to remove the fitting from the back of the filter.
When the hoses are off, grab the filter firmly and twist it out of the bracket.

Did mine yesterday, took all of 10 minutes from start to finish.
:thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!