Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

trouble removing brake drums

hgc
08-07-2006, 01:12 PM
I unfortunately let my brake shoes get worn down to far and can't losen up the adjustment to back the shoes away from the drum. I then popped the pins holding the springs and my shoes are lose but I still can't get the drum off. It is holding up on the bottom of the drum--even if I rotate the drum which I can do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bear
08-07-2006, 03:27 PM
On my '96 I had to take a rubber mallet and literally pound on the drums (from backside all round the edges) to get the drum off. Also, look for a small lock washer on one of the lugs, that maybe what is holding the drum on. You can remove that lock ring and throw it away, no longer required.

hgc
08-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the help. GOt one brake drum off. The other is coming off but the brake shoes want to stay inside. Got to work on releasing it frm the drum. As long as I have patience I will have it--just take time.

Bear
08-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Here is another tip. Pull the emergency brake cable (to the point where it passes through the body brackets) down and to the rear and then clamp the cable off at the rear mosrt bracket to keep that slack and this may help pull the shoes loose from the drum.

Add your comment to this topic!