Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I'm scared of high RPM

IceWind
08-18-2002, 09:19 PM
Maybe you auto enthusiasts can help a comptuer ethusiasts get over a bad habit. I have a 92 Accord LX named "Aeris" I've taken good care of her since I got here in the fall of 99. Shes a bit over 97,000 miles. Shes had the water pump, timing belt done, new brake pads, new battery, CV joint *put those off for over 2 years* new muffler, valve adjustment, pretty much just maintanence on a 10 year old car. Shes been good to me and hasn't broken down on me. Its my second manual transmission car. But my big problem is that I just have a very bad fear of revving the engines to high to shift into gear. I pretty much back off after 3000 RPM on the speedo when I switch into 1, 2nd 3rd. I've tinkered and revved higher before I switched into either gears and I noticed that the engine lugs much less then when I have it at lower rpms, im just so afraid I"ll over do my poor girls engine with to high of Revs and ruin the engine. Can you give me information on what RPM I should shift into?

Heres my biggest problem, how high do I go on the RPM and MPH before I switch into the next gear? Once again, my fear of to high of RPMS doens't allow me to go higher then 10mph in 1st, 20mph 2cnd, 30mph 3rd and I enage fourth after I hit 50, Even after having this car 3 years, It still doesn't feel right when im shifting. Needless to say, my next card will be totally automatic *yeah, hate me, whatever* Until then, just how should my Honda correctly? Though it varies, I get around 300mpg on a full tank of gas in town if that helps any.

b16a3sol
08-18-2002, 09:25 PM
sounds to me like you are driving just fine. your miles/gallon is a bit low, but its not anything to get too alarmed about. it doesnt really matter when you shift, just as long as the car is driven smoothly. when i had my accord, i shifted how you described when i was in no hurry to get anywhere. your motor will handle revving, even to redline, without any problems. shift at whatever you feel like, just remember that if you bog the car out, its about as stressful to the motor as revving it to redline.

93speed
08-18-2002, 09:36 PM
300mpg :eek:
LOL

I say you are shifting fine as far as gas mileage goes. I have a 93 LX and I usually go to about 4500 before I shift. But thats just me. I also get horrible gas mileage.

Oh yeah, I also have 170k on my engine and it still runs great. As long as you keep up on the oil changes, Honda engines will last forever.

This is my second car. My first one was a slow-as-hell truck. Anywho, I started out shifting like you do. Then I slowly started shifting later.

Try running an AutoX event. You'll definatly get over your RPM "fear". You don't have time to shift. My poor car was redlined all day :(

strodda
08-18-2002, 09:59 PM
i have an a/t, but ive worried about the same thing. with normal acceleration itll shift between 3-4k, if i drive it harder, itll shift between 5-6k(since i have sports shift on). other than wasting gas, can driving that way harm engine parts? fyi, the motors got about 130k on it.

also, is it easy to take the timingbelt cover off? i didnt want to touch ANYTHING until i knew for certain. i have no leaks and a new radiator, so im not worried about any fluids. but i wanted to check for any wear on the belt... would "cracks" be noticable to the untrained eye?

ShockJon
08-22-2002, 12:45 AM
I have a A/T also but no sports shifter... Tha dx does have a 1,2,3,od4 so I can and do shift it kinda like a sports shifter, but anyways my car if I keep it in overdrive normal driving it shifts around 3-4k also and gets about 32mpg but I am very NOT afraid of running to rev limit on the car even with 160k.... My car pulls like a freakin train so its hard for me to not lay into it!!! :D

strodda
08-22-2002, 07:06 AM
hey shock

what parts have you replaced due to wear?

JasonAccord98LX
08-22-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by ShockJon
My car pulls like a freakin train so its hard for me to not lay into it!!! :D

Your 93 DX accord pulls like a train? I hope to god your car isnt stock and you are saying that.

ShockJon
08-24-2002, 10:48 PM
oh just the usual... Brakes, axels, ignition, and soon the timing belt....
I wouldn't exactly call it stock but not a race car YET either..... ;)

mtbrfrydr
08-31-2002, 05:24 PM
Hello all

Just to let you know, although i have an auto, i am also pushing 240,000 miles and i still don't burn any oil.

I still rev mine upto 5500-6000 no prob.

strodda
08-31-2002, 07:15 PM
thats some good shit. i like hearing about how long hondas last since ill be stuck with mine for a while.

is there an easy fix to burning oil?? or is it just an old car symptom? cause i noticed i have been burning a little.

tybalt29
10-10-2002, 01:38 PM
I've noticed the same problem with my 92 accordex it burns oil, one of my friends said that maybe it was fried piston rings, another just said it was just because the engine was 10 years old

ShockJon
10-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by tybalt29
I've noticed the same problem with my 92 accordex it burns oil, one of my friends said that maybe it was fried piston rings, another just said it was just because the engine was 10 years old

Thats all the reason your car needs to burn oil!!! :silly2:
You can do some simple things like replacing the rings to fix that... It can also be a burnt head gasket too, thats a pretty easy fix also.... Some times you can find local shops or trusty individuals that can do this stuff cheap!!!! Or do it yourself!!! :)

pifhluk23
10-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Your car is a machine, as long as you change the oil and perform routine maintence you can shift whenever you want, so start driving your car like it supposed to be driven.

tybalt29
10-19-2002, 08:10 PM
hey, after some inspection under the hood, i noticed that the valve cover gasket was leaking...a lot, so when i did my brakes i got the valve cover gasket kit and changed that gasket and then all the grommets and shit like that, no more leaking oil!!

so my car wasn't burning it, just slowly leaking it from the valve cover. everything in my engine is original, so I'm starting to pull out the old stuff and replace it. but that will start in the summer:flash:

thedeadcivic
10-03-2006, 09:38 AM
higer RPMs will burn oil quicker right? =/
im gonna go check my head gasket right now too...

AccordCodger
10-03-2006, 06:52 PM
thedeadcivic, you woke up a FOUR YEAR OLD thread. Why did you do that, with a post that didn't seem to actually contribute anything?

pimprolla112
10-08-2006, 02:42 AM
higer RPMs will burn oil quicker right? =/
im gonna go check my head gasket right now too...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But seriously check post dates, and i hope you know how to check a head gasket its not one of those pop the hood and its there things.

Add your comment to this topic!