Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help

ooMcLeoDoo
08-07-2006, 11:13 AM
hi all,srry if icaused any inconvinience.

may i get some help,i want to build any luxary car,im a biginer,i want to paint it and make it highly detailed.(:screwy: im a physco:screwy: )
caany one suggest a kit,im in the UAE,Middle East.

what so u think of this tool ?is it handy?or not worth it?if not plz suggest one.
http://www.thecooltool.com/produktgruppe.php?language=e&status=20&sh_id=15&ptitel=Unimat+Classic
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/843d/
:icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16: :icon16:

porschenut
08-07-2006, 12:56 PM
The tool that you are on about is very expensive, however, i am no expert on lathes and stuff, but it may be good value, however also of little use to a complete beginner. Also, with regards to a kit, It depends on what you want, because you should chose a kit that you like the look of, and we can reccomend kits, but I for one dont really know whats avaliable where you live, and i can say kits, but they might not be avaliable to you. Look around the forum and see what you like the look of, then see what other think of it. And go from there, look in shops and on the internet for the kit you want and buy it.
For a sedan i'd reccomend a FUJUMI LEXUS LS400
Just my opinion, as when i built one it was a good kit, but i think they are hard to find, so i dont really know.
I hope this helps
Euan

Lusitano
08-08-2006, 07:01 AM
Hi there!

I would recommend against buying a mini lathe such as the one you provided in the link.
Being a beginner, there is so much more that you can buy for the amount of cash that a Unimat 1 costs: good tools, a proper airbrush/compressor setup, etc.
Expensive tools *will not* get you great results without practice.:shakehead

Buy a couple of easy kits that you like and use them for practice and skill development.
After completing the first kits you will have a much better idea of the tools that will suit your needs better.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress! :)

Cheers,
Lusitano

mike@af
08-08-2006, 07:19 AM
I would not reccomend buying a lathe until you have a good bit of experience of modeling and scratch building under your belt. A tool is only as good as the builder. You're new to modeling, start buying the essentials. Get a lathe in a few years.

Also the Unimat's are pretty low quality lathes. Especially the 6-in-1's.

ooMcLeoDoo
08-08-2006, 12:37 PM
thx guys,i bought a couple of X-Acto knife sets,tweezers,digital caliper,butane torch,X-acto hobby saw kit.could some one plz write me a list of things needed for the fujimi f-430 spider kit.and im looking for a high quality airbrush that is some how a bit silent,(small compressor) :screwy: <<my father doesnt like noise>>:screwy:

can any one recomend a place to buy hobby tools online,cuz i didnt find any
in my city. :banghead:
ill post pictures of what i have thx again

mike@af
08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
thx guys,i bought a couple of X-Acto knife sets,tweezers,digital caliper,butane torch,X-acto hobby saw kit.could some one plz write me a list of things needed for the fujimi f-430 spider kit.and im looking for a high quality airbrush that is some how a bit silent,(small compressor) :screwy: <<my father doesnt like noise>>:screwy:

Why are you getting so many advanced tools as a beginner? Butane torch is a little excesive, same with a digital caliper and a high qaulity airbrush.

Jay!
08-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Buy a couple of easy kits that you like and use them for practice and skill development.
After completing the first kits you will have a much better idea of the tools that will suit your needs better.

I agree.

For a beginner to build the F430 kit, I'd recommend a knife, plastic cement and a few spray cans in the basic colors.

When you start out in this hobby, you make a lot of mistakes, and you learn from those mistakes. If you expect to be able to make some super detailed cars your first time, I'm afraid you will be dissappointed, and you will get very discouraged.

Start simple, and work up to bigger and better things.

One of the most satisfying things about this hobby is looking back and seeing how much you improve with each try.

Good luck! :)

hirofkd
08-08-2006, 09:01 PM

I'm using the following set-up.
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74523
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM74515

Unfortunately both are out of stock at Hobby Link Japan, but Hobby Search has them. Alternatively, you can try this airbrush& compressor combo
http://www.1999.co.jp/asp/GoodsDetails_e.asp?Bno=&Typ1_c=107&Typ2_c=119&Typ3_c=363&SPage=1&SC=10&SN=Tools+Air+Brush+%28Set%29&It_c=10013803&andor=0&scope=0&scope2=0&thumb=1&sortID=1&urikire=1&sort_sort=0&ItKey=&app_url=shop_right_e.asp

The compressor is not completely silent, but fairly quiet. Wrapped with blanket, you can even use it at night.

ooMcLeoDoo
08-09-2006, 03:55 AM
thank "ouy" guys ,very much,you just encouraged me not to buy any intermidiate tools,i've learned to work step by step

ooMcLeoDoo
08-10-2006, 02:26 AM
i didnt bu the digital caliper,butane torch,and the hobby saw.I found them in my brother tools

thx guys

wouter1981
08-10-2006, 05:20 AM
i didnt bu the digital caliper,butane torch,and the hobby saw.I found them in my brother tools

thx guys

what are you going that torch for?
That lathe is way to advanced for somebody who begins in modelling. The basics are:

-good brushes :yes 3€ for 1 good quality brush is posibble and worth the price

-gleu: plastic, cleargleu and supergleu. plasticglue for bare plastic: it's often necesary to remove paint before gleuing them together, clear glue for clear parts and superglue for the rest. Sometimes 2compound gleu can be handy.

- Paint:
a lot of choices here. I would advice for your first car to use spraycans for the body. Primer, colour and a clear if you use a metallice colour. don't mic different branches of spraycans! I would advice all tamiya spraycans, there expensive but they are the best. And spray verry light layers.

-If you buy an airbrush, buy a singel action internalmix airbrush. (like the badger 200) The results are almost as good as with a dual action and they are easier to learn with. In the beginning, use you're airbrush to paint the interiours of you're cars. Those are mostly flat colours and are easy to learn with. The badger 200 is good for beginners but even an experienced modeller kan make a award winning paintjob with that brush.

-Enamel, acrylic. I like enamels a lot, but some don't. So experiment... buy some colours of both and try what works. use the searchfunction here to get some tips regarding tinning, airpressure,.... it's rather complicated.

-Sandpaper: from 400 to the finest you can find.. look for at least 1000. And always use water to sand.

-files are handy tools

-On you're first model, try to follow the instructions as detailed as possible (exepte for colours do what you like there). Don't start loweringjobs, opening hoods, .... That's work for experienced modellers.

- No mather how expensive you're tools are, they are just tools. It's the modeller that makes a great model. The tools are bye no means an insurance to good work. But with bad equipment, nobody can make a decent model. So spend you're money wisely!

This list is by no means a limiting list.. just the first things that comes to my mind.. and I'm personnaly not THAT big of a moddeler, so complaint, remarks, other questions always welcome.

Add your comment to this topic!