Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bad Idle then dies

garr79
08-07-2006, 10:27 AM
I have a 1998 Camry with 96,000 miles and a four cylinder. When I have been on the highway and the engine has been running for a while at high RPMs and I come to a stop, then engine will idle rough jumping from 200 RPM to 1000 RPMs and then die. Recently the car has started bogging while driving. It seems if I rev the engine real high like around 5000/6000 RPMs I dont really get the problem. The car gets good gas mileage if that helps, around 26 MPG. I heard it may be the fuel pump. Does anyone know where the fuel pump is if it is that problem.

Thanks,

Garrett

gator2764
08-07-2006, 11:58 AM
I have a 1998 Camry with 96,000 miles and a four cylinder. When I have been on the highway and the engine has been running for a while at high RPMs and I come to a stop, then engine will idle rough jumping from 200 RPM to 1000 RPMs and then die. Recently the car has started bogging while driving. It seems if I rev the engine real high like around 5000/6000 RPMs I dont really get the problem. The car gets good gas mileage if that helps, around 26 MPG. I heard it may be the fuel pump. Does anyone know where the fuel pump is if it is that problem.

Thanks,

Garrett
I would start with something other than the pump itself. When the impeller in a pump goes bad it will pump less but it will not pump different volumes of liquid at different times, it will not change the amount of pressure while driving. I would start with the filter and check the MAF sensor.

Mike Gerber
08-07-2006, 12:01 PM
The fuel pump is inside the gas tank. There should be an access plate for the pump underneath the back seat.

I would first check for broken or disconnected vacuum lines and also clean the idle air control valve inside the throttle body. Do a search here for "idle air control valve." It's been covered numerous times.

Mike

hassanbigboss
08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
garr79, it does seem as if the fuel filter/pump is giving you the trouble. I would check the fuel filter if I was in your place. If something is wrong with it just replace it yourself, it is pretty cheap to buy the part and do it yourself, rather than going to a mechaninc and paying them big bucks:nono:

xfeejayx
08-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Check engien light on? Check for codes? The nice people at Autozone are your friends :cheers:

raziullah007
08-09-2006, 01:32 PM
follow the instructions by most of these people. They have offered very good tips for you. I would like to ad to that. Why don't you go ahead and check the MAF (mass air flow) sensor/meter as well?????? That could be a reasonable problem. But i would probably start with the fuel pump or the vacuum lines. Also, check the idle mixture (fuel mixture). there should be a scew on the throttle body which should allow you to adjust that. Check that out as well.

Hajoca
08-09-2006, 02:24 PM
This occurs only when engine is hot right??

Test your EGR for proper function, and then get back to us here.

Just fixed a 96 corolla with same problem last night.

xfeejayx
08-09-2006, 09:21 PM
follow the instructions by most of these people. They have offered very good tips for you. I would like to ad to that. Why don't you go ahead and check the MAF (mass air flow) sensor/meter as well?????? That could be a reasonable problem. But i would probably start with the fuel pump or the vacuum lines. Also, check the idle mixture (fuel mixture). there should be a scew on the throttle body which should allow you to adjust that. Check that out as well.

yea, my guess would be the MAF also. had a friend with an altima did the same thing, same symptoms. But no need guessing randomly if you can get codes checked FOR FREE and really narrow it down.

Add your comment to this topic!