Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Exchange

doak2189
08-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Hey i really want a supra turbo mkIV, but i can only find non-turbo versions within a hundred miles of where i live. i was wondering how much buying the turbo engine and dropping it in would cost if i were to buy a supra non turbo. also, is it possible to just simply put in a turbo on the normal engine? i just wanted to know if it would be worth buying and converting, or just savin up and get a turbo to start with.

TcmaBoy
08-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Expect a turbo swap to cost around $4000+. You can put a turbo on the NA motor, but do to the higher compression pistons you will have to keep the boost down. As with any turbo upgrade you will need to upgrade the fuel system and install a piggy back controller.

Is this going to be a driver? Personally I prefer a boosted high comp motor for street duty. The higher compression pistons help bring up the low end power. Big HP numbers are great in a pee pee measuring contest, but the power dose not kick in until you are over 3K RPM, which is well out side of the normal driving range.

doak2189
08-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Yes this is going to be my normal every day car but i do like the occasional race at the stoplight or what not. so you think that for these purposes i should just upgrade the na engine? also, i have recently looked into the twin turbo, and if i read it correctly, the single turbo offers more power in the long run, but since one of the two turbos is constantly spinning, yo get a quicker launch, can anyone validate that? thanks

jza70
12-21-2006, 10:22 PM
i am thinking of what engine i should get the 1jz or 2jz swap for my 1987 supra but i can't really chose whats better, 1jz has a higher compression ratio than a 2jz and could handle more boost and is smaller with 2jz around 2997cc and the 1jz around 2491cc but i want a high torque motor but i cant chose

TcmaBoy
12-22-2006, 03:21 AM
Go with the 2JZ if you can afford it. The extra displacement is needed in such a heavy car for daily driving. The 1JZ is fun because you can wind it to hell with its shorter stroke, but honestly you spend a lot of time out of the power band. I went 1JZ mainly for cost reasons. Your 87 will require a cross member swap from a 90+, and some rewiring. Get a half cut, and not just a motor.

carcrzy101
12-30-2006, 08:12 AM
hey, i have a 1983 supra and it has alot of miles on it and i was thinking to have an engine swap on it. i want something high performance but not to expensive. i'm not sure which one to go with.

TcmaBoy
12-31-2006, 09:21 PM
hey, i have a 1983 supra and it has alot of miles on it and i was thinking to have an engine swap on it. i want something high performance but not to expensive. i'm not sure which one to go with.

7mgte

Add your comment to this topic!