Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How I replaced starter on 92 S-10 4X4 man. trans

dixonstalbert
08-04-2006, 10:49 PM
(If there is a separate place to post how-to's -sorry about that I couldnt find it... maybe a moderator can help me out if this is in the wrong place)
I had lots of 'learning experiences' tackling this job without a manual and little mechanics experience, so I thought I would post this if you find yourself facing a similar situation and only the internet to help you:
( I had seached internet before tackling this job and the posts I read(which I think were for the an automatic transmission 2WD) did not mention how to gain access to the wires on the top of the starter and the real trick- how to drop it out between the frame and the block)

How to replace starter on Chevrolet Sonoma S-10 4X4 manual transmission:
1. loosen lugnuts on passenger wheel
2. disconnect battery
3. jack up vehicle
4. remove passenger wheel.
5. look inside passenger fender; you will see barbed plastic prongs; pound on them to loosen them- then use sidecutters under hood to cut or pull out these plastic plugs that retain soft plastic flap that covers center of fender; lift flap out of way. (if you havent dealt with these plastic plugs before- dont be too concerned if you break a few of them- they sell replacements at any auto parts place for about 75 cents each)
6. go under truck- remove skid plate that is under oilpan.starter is located just below the flap you just folded over inside fender. remove two bolts in bottom of starter to loosen it from motor.
7. wiggle it away from motor and turn it 1/8 clockwise so top of starter (the solenoid) is visible when you look through fender under the flap you folded up.

8 reach through access hole under flap and undo wires (one big, one small) from terminals on starter.

9. now the fun part! freeing the starter from between the block, the exhaust manifold and the A-Frame:
9a. locate crossmember that supports the back of the transmission. remove the skid plate underneath it so you can access it . undo 2 bolts on either side of back of transmission.
9b. jack up back of transmission an 1/8 inch just so it isnt sitting in rubber groove in crossmember mount.
9c. sling a ratcheting tie-down strap around very back of transmission and anchor it to something on drivers side of frame. tighten strap so it pulls the back of the transmission over about 3/4 inch. This will pull back of engine over about 1/4 inch and you will now have enough room to wiggle starter out of truck.

When I removed my starter the whole starter gear had come apart and some bearings and a big chunk of casting had fallen into the bell housing (no wonder I was having trouble getting truck to start!) so I had to do some fishing and get these out before I put in the new one in. This involved removing the sheet metal that covers the bottom of the bell housing. no problem with 4 bolts- but also had to remove clutch slave cylinder. this is easy to remove but tricky to put back together. unscrew big metal plug on side to look inside so you can line up rod and forked lever.

Putting things back together wasnt too much of a problem. my only mistake was trying to line up holes in back transmission mount while I still had some of the weight on a jack. had no luck until I removed jack and let transmission rest on mount while I lined it up. Also remember you have to attach the wires to the starter with it twisted clockwise, then mount it after wires are connected.

Add your comment to this topic!