Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is Bosch to blame?

Loekee75
08-04-2006, 09:00 PM
A question for all PA owners on here; has anyone ever had a Bosch brand O2 sensor set a code 13?? I know that aftermarket O2 sensors in these cars aren't known for their dependability, but after going through 2 Bosch O2's I'm still getting a Open 02 Circuit code, and a VERY strong scent of gas at idle, not to mention horrible mileage. I checked the purple 02 wire all the way down to the ECM, and found nothing wrong. My next guess, if not the sensor, my ECM may be kicking the bucket? Any ideas where to look next?

Alibi
08-04-2006, 11:43 PM
No, I haven't had any trouble from bosch o2's. I vote ECM as your problem sounds very similar to one I had with an 89 PA. A new ECM solved it :)

Loekee75
08-06-2006, 08:22 AM
I didn't have a problem until I had replaced my original ECM because it was setting off a false high voltage code. I believe the one I got is a remanufactured unit. If it does test bad, I'll surely get a brand new unit this time!

Alibi
08-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Ah...yeah, I'd say it is the ECM. I would expect a reman'ed ECM to be good, and if not I would also expect it to have a warranty of somesort.

wrightz28
08-07-2006, 10:30 AM
If the ECM is throwing a code that the O2 circuit is open, I would suspect either the ocnnector is bad, or the wire after the connector is borken.

I have used Bosch sensors in all of my cars now for over 10 years with no problem.

Loekee75
08-07-2006, 03:35 PM
I traced the connection all the way down to the ECM and the wire is intact. Conector contacts and has no corrosion.

Gocart879
08-07-2006, 05:25 PM
This may sound dumb, but are you 100% positive that your entire exaust system is intact, without holes or anything? I would suggest you evaluate the "cat" for areas it could be plugged and so on. Let us know how you end up.

2Kpkave
08-08-2006, 12:35 AM
It sounds to me like you may have some build up in your cat. converter. But the fuel smell my have to do with gunked up fuel injectors and a bad mass air flow sensor. Give them a check. It can't hurt.

Loekee75
08-08-2006, 08:42 AM
I had the cat replaced recently, as my old one had small holes in it. That rules out the cat converter. I'm not getting a MAF code but I'll check it out as suggested!
The last time the injectors were cleaned was about 2 1/2 years ago, so that may be something worth considering. Thanks for the input, and I'll post back soon!

Add your comment to this topic!