Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Has anyone ever imported a car?

Chad82
08-04-2006, 12:41 AM
I have been trying to find how much it would cost to import something, and it seems exhorbinantly expensive to get a company to do it for you.

However, I found this:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/kitcar.htm

If I am reading that right, does that mean that if I buy a car overseas, have them dissamble it down to body, engine, tranny and suspension (4 seperate boxes) that I could import and rebuild as a kit car?

Or is this a completely idiotic idea that I should stop before I get my heart set on a Japan exclusive car?

Igovert500
08-04-2006, 01:30 AM
Or is this a completely idiotic idea that I should stop before I get my heart set on a Japan exclusive car?

Probably, plus getting it street legal here might cost you as much as a 2nd car. It just isn't worth it, unless you find a company that specifically specializes in bringing that exact car over to the US and making it street legal, and even then it will cost you more than it's worth.

What are you interested in, it shouldn't be too hard to find something similar stateside.

Chad82
08-04-2006, 02:45 AM
Specifically looking at TT soarer.

Near as I can tell, if it is imported as a kit car (which that page would allow it to be), in WA state, it would have a $50 VIN inspection (which would designate the VIN number and get them attached to the car) and then the Washington State Patrol inspects safety looking for damage:1) Engines and short blocks, 2) Frame, 3) Transmission and/or transfer case, 4) Cab, 5) Door, 6) Front or rear differential, 7) Front or rear clip, 8) Quarter panel, 9) Truck bed or box, 10) Seat, 11) Hood, 12) Bumper, 13) Fender, and 14) Airbag

Once that happens, it appears that a kitcar is road legal in washington. From there I would have a $15 NCIC search and then normal licensing costs.

Additionally, I can register it in Lewis County, meaning requirement for emissions.

Chad82
08-04-2006, 02:47 AM
And yes, I know that the 300SC is similar, but for a decent condition one over here they are spendy and don't come with the drivetrain i want. If this is possible, then it would be about 1/2 the cost of a 300SC.

Add your comment to this topic!