Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Volvo Oxygen Sensor Replacement

magnumtoy
08-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Can anyone help? My 1999 V70 CE light came on. P0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit malf. (front sensor).

I replaced it with a Bosch universal O2 sensor. Cleared the code.

CE light came right back on, this time w/ code P0130 - O2 sensor circuit malfunction.

I was cornfused, so I took it to local mechanic who didn't know anything. Then took it to the dealer (ouch) and he says that it looks like it was hooked up ok and looks ok, but suggested that both the front and the rear O2 sensor be replaced together - something about needing to be "more equal". Also said that the computer might need to be updated for the new sensor settings (or something like that. I pick it up tonight and will ask more.) Has anyone heard of this?

Also, the 1st mechanic I took it to showed me on his scanner that the front sensor little live chart showing the sensor (4 volts, or was is millivolts?) was steady and that it should have been constantly going up and down as engine idles. The rear one did fluctuate as the engine was revved up high which he said was right.

Can anyone help? Dealer wants around $700 to replace both sensors with new OEM ones. Should maybe I just replace the rear one with a new bosch universal and see if that works?

THanks.

magnumtoy
08-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Update to my own posting on the 02 sensor issue. (seems like most volvo owners don't work on their own cars, feel like I'm talking to myself.)

After calling Bosch and talking to a technician, he said "oh yeah, some of your year vehicles used a different brand of sensor so your front won't work with our univeral one, but will work with the rear one". Even tho their website (and the place I bought it from) said it would.

And after getting a $750 quote from the dealer who suggested I replace both, I went ahead and bought the OEM sensor from the dealer myself ($228) and installed it. Works fine. No need to replace the rear sensor and do any "programming" to the computer like dealer said.

Just thougth some of you might like to know.

cloneboy17
08-28-2006, 09:38 PM
chech out brickboard.com A lot of volvo owners work on their own cars

Add your comment to this topic!