Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Voyager: Transmission jerks/clunks each shift

amtravco
08-01-2006, 09:09 PM
The van shifts up and down as it should, but there is a fairly noticeable jerk or lurch each time it shifts, either up or down. Suggestions or ideas? It has about 155K miles on it.

RIP
08-02-2006, 01:52 AM
Start with the basics. Is the fluid level good? Have you been using nothing but ATF-3 or 4 transmission fluid? If there's any Dexron or Mercon fluid in it have the transmission flushed. If you've been using the correct fluid, drain and change the fluid and filter. Please tell us what transmission you have.

Bernard Feltzer
08-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Your transmission filter is clogged.
There are 2 sizes, get the right one.

amtravco
08-03-2006, 11:43 AM
The engine is 3.3L, and the transmission is the 4 speed auto.

I checked the fluid level. It seemed to be somewhat high. I drove once around the block to get the temperature to what the manual implies is "warm" (it certainly didn't feel at all hot), but the level was all the way at the upper limit (top hole) of the "hot" indicator on the dipstick.

I don't know what fluid has been used. We have taken it to a variety of shops over the years.

It sounds like a good idea at this point would be to take it in to our shop and have them completely change the fluid to the correct level of ATF3 (is that correct these days? The manual says ATF2, but other posts suggest ATF3 now) and possibly change the filter. The manual suggests that the bands should be adjusted. Is that relevant for this transmission?

Thanks!

MT-2500
08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
The engine is 3.3L, and the transmission is the 4 speed auto.

I checked the fluid level. It seemed to be somewhat high. I drove once around the block to get the temperature to what the manual implies is "warm" (it certainly didn't feel at all hot), but the level was all the way at the upper limit (top hole) of the "hot" indicator on the dipstick.

I don't know what fluid has been used. We have taken it to a variety of shops over the years.

It sounds like a good idea at this point would be to take it in to our shop and have them completely change the fluid to the correct level of ATF3 (is that correct these days? The manual says ATF2, but other posts suggest ATF3 now) and possibly change the filter. The manual suggests that the bands should be adjusted. Is that relevant for this transmission?

Thanks!

Cry now recommends atf+4 to be used in it.
If you are not sure what has been put in it flush it and refill with ATF+4

Also it is computer controled.
A good trans capable scanner will show codes if any and tell you a lot about your transmission. Even clutch volume index.
Any check engine lights?
If rough shifting get it scanned and post back codes.
MT

neon_rt
08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
There are no bands to adjust on the 4-speed auto.
The 3-speed auto is mechanically operated and requires band adjust every 30K miles.

kekoa747
11-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Hard shifting has been addresed with several TSB. Take the van to the dealer and ask that the TSB be completed or at the very least to Flash the TCM

MT-2500
11-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Hard shifting has been addresed with several TSB. Take the van to the dealer and ask that the TSB be completed or at the very least to Flash the TCM

You may need practice replying to post But.
Check the date on post before replying to them.
Let olds dogs lay.:grinyes: :shakehead :lol:
Beside on that one what transmission it has was never posted and not much in the line of TSB's or re flashes on it. :grinyes: :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!