Sunbird stalls after driving....

camaromike
07-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi I own a 1993 sunbird 2.0 and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about my stall problem....

First time starting it in the morning it starts on the second crank, it runs excellent, idles constant and doesnt hesitate at all while starting or stopping.

after driving long enough for the car to warm up, it still runs fine and doesnt bog or show any signs of problems but as soon as you stop at a light or something the car suddenly just cuts out (no weird engine noises, codes, or change in the rpm...) and i have to wait 15-20 min to start it again.Also sometimes after i stop (car still running) and turn it off to get gas or something (after car is warmed up) it wont start again until i wait the 15-20 min.

Sometimes it helps when i hold one foot on the brake and give it a bit of gas at the same time but its just an inconvenience....

Any suggestions are appreciated, thank you

ProAc_Fan
08-17-2006, 01:07 AM
The TCC solenoid for the lock up torque converter is sticking. Have the plug disconnected and the problem will disappear. What's happening is the torque converter won't unlock when you start slowing down and it causes the engine to stall. After 15-20 mins the switch cools down, disengages and the car runs fine until the next time the converter locks up again. You will see a slight increase in fuel consumption but you can live without replacing that solenoid indefinitely. Just unplug the bugger.

Good Luck

Mike

Turf n Dirt
08-17-2006, 10:34 AM
My 84 had a problem with the solenoid too. The car would buck n jump like crazy and not make any progess and them would just die,. Start right up, but then die again after putting it into gear. I unplugged the solenoid about 3 years ago. I think they can replace this with out much trouble (tranny and engine in the car).

If unplugging this dosnt work, maybe its the catalytic converter plugging up?

or...........the problem I just had was, the car would run fine, then just stall out. 20mph, 65mph didnt matter. It would start right up and keep going. It would stall at least once every trip to work and once on the way home. ~15 miles each way. The culprit?..............bad distributor. That was 3 weeks ago.

Good luck, unplug the solenoid first...great advice.....very easy..........

shelleyk88
08-21-2006, 04:07 PM
My boyfriend has a 91 sunbird and he had the same problem with it stalling after it warmed up. He replaced the Idle Air Control and hasn't had a problem since.

K9vic
08-23-2006, 07:52 PM
First time posting here, found it via Google search trying to find out why my 94 Sunbird stalled in gear at a light coming to a stop.

I just bought a 94 Sunbird 4 door LE 2.0L and drove it today for the first time to work. When I got to a traffic light the car did exactly as the original poster car did. Then about 10 minutes later it was fine, no problems. I guess this is why it was auctioned off, the transmission is bad. Well doing a Google search I find that it seems to just be the TCC solenoid and all I have to do is unplug it. What a relief it was to read all I have to do is unplug it. I also saw a past post about where to find the plug, so I should be good to go now. The car is really in great condition and the upper engine was rebuilt. I buy and sell cars, so in about a month it will be up for sale, but with the price of gas, my V8 Crown Victoria my be for sale.

Thank you to the posters that gave the quick easy solution to this problem. Also to the original poster for asking the question as I did in Google search.

MetalWyrm
12-06-2007, 02:03 AM
hey, I just recently purchased a 1991 sunbird 3.1L v6. As I was driving it home, going uphill, red light shows up and I hit the brake, car sputters and stalls (kind of like a standard when you don't use clutch)
it starts up in park/neutral no problem, but as soon as I put it into drive or reverse, it stalls
eventually, that time I got it going and made it home

later that night I decided to try this again, so I drove around for a while, it took about 30-45 minutes and again it happened, uphill too (I dunno if that's just a coincidence lol)
this time I think I dumped it in 2nd or 1st gear as I was revving it and I managed to peal out and got it home again

I talked to the seller who talked to a mechanic and said you either replace the tcc solenoid or just unplug it from the transmission case I believe?

I was thinking of just going for unplugging it but not sure if I can do it from the top of the engine or do I need to get underneath?

any ideas if it would be expensive to ask a mechanic to do it? it's not exactly hard labor from the sounds of it

Add your comment to this topic!