Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission vent hose leaking fluid

metallica21156
07-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Ok. for about a month now trans fluid has been coming out of the vent which seems only on hot days and a long ride. i checked the fluid and it's fine. i haven't checked the transfercase though. the truck was fine for over a year with the fluid in it and i haven't added any so i know it's fine. also it seems like every now and then the trans won't let the converter lock up. no matter what i do. it stays out. i've even tried turning it off and still no luck but a few hours later and it will work fine. don't know if that has anything to do with the other problem. trucks only got 86,000 on it. i can't see the trans and transfer case seal being bad already. ant ideas on what else it could be?

BlazerLT
07-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Ok. for about a month now trans fluid has been coming out of the vent which seems only on hot days and a long ride. i checked the fluid and it's fine. i haven't checked the transfercase though. the truck was fine for over a year with the fluid in it and i haven't added any so i know it's fine. also it seems like every now and then the trans won't let the converter lock up. no matter what i do. it stays out. i've even tried turning it off and still no luck but a few hours later and it will work fine. don't know if that has anything to do with the other problem. trucks only got 86,000 on it. i can't see the trans and transfer case seal being bad already. ant ideas on what else it could be?

Are you checking the fluid level with the engine running and up to temperature?

Also, when was the last time you changed the fluid?

metallica21156
08-08-2006, 05:20 PM
The trans was serviced about 1 year and a half ago and it was flushed. i also changed the transfercase fluid at the same time. i checked the fluid in the transfercase the other day and the fluid was a little high and then i drained it out and now it seems like it's ok for now but i'm woundering how long it's going to be till it starts smokeing again. the transfluid was fine and i checked it when it was hot.

Teal95Jimmy
08-08-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 95 Jimmy 4x4. I had the trans serviced (dropped pan and had new filter and fluid) just over a year ago, but I've only turned over 3k miles. It seems that it only happens on my way home (1 mile 25% grade up hill at one point). Either way is only 5 miles. I put a cup undernieth the tube just so i stop making a mess out of the driveway, but i want in on when someone finds out whats goin on.

BlazerLT
08-09-2006, 09:39 PM
The trans was serviced about 1 year and a half ago and it was flushed. i also changed the transfercase fluid at the same time. i checked the fluid in the transfercase the other day and the fluid was a little high and then i drained it out and now it seems like it's ok for now but i'm woundering how long it's going to be till it starts smokeing again. the transfluid was fine and i checked it when it was hot.

You are checking it running right?

metallica21156
08-22-2006, 10:28 PM
yes. i checked the tranny running and the transfercase off. since i drained out the fluid it seems to not smoke any more.

blazes9395
08-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Ok. for about a month now trans fluid has been coming out of the vent which seems only on hot days and a long ride. also it seems like every now and then the trans won't let the converter lock up. no matter what i do. it stays out. i've even tried turning it off and still no luck but a few hours later and it will work fine.

Basiclly you have a tranny problem. The convertor is not fully locking up, and/ or is not locking up at all/slipping. This could be a convertor problem, or it could be something else, its hard to say without seeing what it exactly does. If I were to just make a guess, I would say take a close look at the convertor. You need a scanner to do that though. When you drive high speeds without lockup, you will eventually overheat the tranny fluid and it will come out the vent tube. At this point you are breaking down the fluid because its overheating, and therefore damaging your transmission because of more slippage. The fuild needs to be changed at this point, but you run into other common problems if you changed fluid on a tranny that hasn't got regular fluid changes.

At this point though, I would say do a fluid and filter change a see what happens, leaving overheated fluid in there does no good anyways.

BlackTeg98
03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
ive seen problems like this and sometimes its the pump. there is an intake side and a exhaust side in the pump and if it gets damaged inside it can cause higher line pressure which can cause it to leak out the vent. that and the pump fills the converter up ( charges it ). i wouldnt start pulling it out now id try something more simple and inexpensive first to make sure

blazes9395
03-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Although offering your help is what this forum is all about, please keep to current threads. This one is too old...

Add your comment to this topic!