High Pitched Whiny Metal Sound from Front Right Tire

mr.Hand
07-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi,

I'm getting this very high pitched whiny metal sound from my front right tire. I can hear it come from that direction while I am driving. It starts to happen at approximately 20mph. I don't think it is brake related. Any suggestions?

Thanks

geozukigti
07-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Actually, it probably is brake related. The caliper guide pins are probably siezed, and the pad is dragging.

stamar
07-30-2006, 11:46 PM
well, it is also possibly the pads are starting to wear out.

buit into the pad is a small peice of metal down near the bottom of it. It makes a very high pitched noise when the pad wears down to a certain level, to tell you to change your brake pads before you wear the rivets into the rotor.

If this is the case you probably have like 50 miles before you start damaging your car.

mr.Hand
07-31-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'll take it in to the shop and let them check the brakes/calipers out.

So it will still make that sound even if brake pressure is not applied?

Thanks again.

stamar
07-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'll take it in to the shop and let them check the brakes/calipers out.

So it will still make that sound even if brake pressure is not applied?

Thanks again.

oh um.... yes and no. as the pad gets very low it stays on the caliper more.

So no in theory not but often it does. Sticks and makes the whiny noise but then also stops. the main noise would be when the brake is pressed though.

mr.Hand
07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
I called up the shop, they said it might also be the wheel bearing.

Is that possible?

geozukigti
07-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Wheel bearings usually make a really nasty grinding crunching sound. I've never heard a metallic sound from a wheel bearing. It could also just be a bent rock shield rubbing against the rotor. I've seen that once or twice from people getting stuck in mud, or just a big rock slamming the rock guard.

mr.Hand
07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Well, it certainly is not a grinding, crunching sound, it is just very high pitched and metallic.

Last summer, I got the brakes inspected and the guy said that the front pads each had about 25% of the padding still left. So a year later, I guess it is time now to replace them. Does that sound right?

It is pretty annoying because I have no A/C and must drive with the windows down in the summer.

stamar
07-31-2006, 06:46 PM
well it would certainly be my first thought because the pads are designed to make a distinctive high pitched noise, not like grinding.

like a whistle.

mr.Hand
07-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Well, I would really like to try and change out the brake pads myself.

It doesn't seem that hard to do.

stamar
07-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Well, I would really like to try and change out the brake pads myself.

It doesn't seem that hard to do.
I havent done it on a metro.

In general it is not very hard at all.

I mean for you, its time to raise your car up and spin that wheel around. no use talking to weirdos on the internet about it anymore. Time to check that out. wheel bearing will be easy to tell

Changing the shoes is closer to medium difficulty. I hate brake shoes. when ever I finally get a car that has no rear drums will be a happy day. They definitely seem to last longer though.

mr.Hand
08-01-2006, 09:09 AM
So, I'll jack it up, and if the bearing is shot, I should notice a lot of play when I try and tug the tire at the 3 and 9 and 6 and 12 oclock positions?

I'm gonna call up advance auto and see if they have the pads in stock that will fit the calipers.

stamar
08-01-2006, 12:33 PM
no if the wheel bearing is shot you will spin it around and it will stop.

Crvett69
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
if the wheel bearing is bad it will have play in it and make noise, not stop. can't spin it around very fast because the axle is in the center. if your carefull you can jack both sides up and block them then start car and let the clutch out and see if you can hear anything that way while they are turning. but if you check it first and one has play its probably bad. takes special tools and a press to replace front bearings so if its bad just let a shop do it

rdonohoe1
08-01-2006, 02:18 PM
My "squeal tabs" on the brake pads would only start making noise after they heated up (the brakes - not the motor). I'm talking about 10 min of driving. If you look at the pads and that tab is shiny where it dead-ends into the rotor, then that's it. They didn't make any appreciable groove or mark on the rotor, so you do need to remove the pads to see it...

stamar
08-01-2006, 06:51 PM
if the wheel bearing is bad it will have play in it and make noise, not stop. can't spin it around very fast because the axle is in the center. if your carefull you can jack both sides up and block them then start car and let the clutch out and see if you can hear anything that way while they are turning. but if you check it first and one has play its probably bad. takes special tools and a press to replace front bearings so if its bad just let a shop do it
Um Im not going to argue with you. Normally whats bad is one of the bearings is ground out, and its in particles. the other bearings are still there. the bearing will still spin around but the particles cause resistance. If you raise your car up spin both wheels, one will keep going the other will spin around and stop. you see you dont really need all those bearings working for it to function... its the debris messing you up.

I mean um.... maybe 3 of them gone lol its not working. but one, its still holding the hub in place.

I mean if its so shot that the bearings arent holding the thing in place lol it will move around. I dont think youre driving it too much by that point....

Crvett69
08-01-2006, 07:43 PM
last 3 front bearings i did the wheel spun around just find but the bearings were dry and some of the surface had worn off, they still rolled fine but when you drove car you got a loud growl out of them. could also fell the free play in them when you rocked wheel

stamar
08-01-2006, 08:15 PM
last 3 front bearings i did the wheel spun around just find but the bearings were dry and some of the surface had worn off, they still rolled fine but when you drove car you got a loud growl out of them. could also fell the free play in them when you rocked wheel

ok thats cool. I believe you.

I used to work in a brake shop briefly. I never once saw a bearing actually wear out like that exactly. I do believe, very shortly after the bearing is wearing out like you describe it just grinds into peices. Never once saw one wearing and then staying in the hub. Its usually quite fast like, no grease no bearing.
I mean and if I go far enough back I was in auto shop and mindlessly packed um... a few bearings I dont know 5 or something and there werent any that had worn like you describe.

What would happen to the wheel youre describing is like, all the dry ones would disapear at once. normally its one at a time goes.

DOCTORBILL
08-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey Mr.Hand....

Have a look at this thread from this forum:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=472753

I have El Samo Problemo last year. Wheel bearings.

Noise changes when making small turns at high speed.

I changed them out myself.....

However....unless you are quite the mechanic type, I'd advise having it
done in a shop by 'professionals' as it is NO FUN WHATSOEVER!
A real bastard of a job....

DoctorBill

mr.Hand
08-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Ok, I got the brake pads changed out at Mr. Tire and a set of new rotors. The guy said when they took the break pads off they crumbled to pieces. They said they were rusted very badly. When I put the brake on now, I hear this knocking sound. That can't be good.

*update* Well, I took the car out tonight for a drive because it was only 80 degrees instead of 100 and I wanted to have a nice clear listen of the car. So I was driving it around, and fooling around with the brakes, and it seems like that knocking went away now. It might have been the new pads adjusting to the new rotor?

I also got new tires because some were leaking out air and the tread was almost gone.

They did an alignment but did not bother to center the steering wheel so the car runs straight but the steering wheel is off center. They should have fixed that at the shop, I'm gonna take it back.

Also, they didn't balance the wheels when they put the new ones on, so I am getting some steering wheel shakes at 50-65 miles per hour. I think you are supposed to balance tires when you put new ones on with the alignment.

They repacked the rear wheel bearings, but I don't think they looked at the front bearings.

The car is still making this horrible screeching metal sound. It is not a rumbling or knocking, just a very high pitched metal scraping sound. I told them this at the shop. Could it be my manual transmission fluid?

bambambam
08-10-2006, 08:50 PM
A longshot, but this might be it...
a few months ago I replaced the crank seal on my 96 LSi. After I was done I kept hearing a metallic chirping/whining/rattling sound. Really hard to describe and it only did it when I was in motion. I was afraid my tranny was dying. Couldn't find any problems. It turns out that when I'd reattached the motor mount, I hadn't tightened that big bolt enough. It was tight, just not tight enough, and the vibration was making that noise. A little more torque, no more noise!
Try to tighten that bold a quarter-turn. Nothing to lose in trying....
Bam

Add your comment to this topic!