Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Suspension repair needed--cost?

abroder
07-30-2006, 04:35 PM
I was camping and placed a cooler under the back of my 2000 Navigator. I went to sleep on the back bench (not comfortable btw, wouldn't recommend it). Anyway, I know this was stupid but I made a mistake. The rear suspension is messed up because of this. On the 100 mile drive home I was bouncing up and down like crazy. I wanted to get it fixed but no place was open on the weekend where I was. I took it in to the Midas near my house in Chicago this morning. What should this end up costing me?

BMW320i
07-31-2006, 01:09 AM
First your suspension did not mess up becuase of this. Is your pump working, can you hear it turn on or ? First check this. If a dealer fixes this you are looking at over $1000 prob. My Mark VIII cost $900 for just the rear bags installed,

Decipha
07-31-2006, 01:17 AM
I was camping and placed a cooler under the back of my 2000 Navigator. I went to sleep on the back bench (not comfortable btw, wouldn't recommend it). Anyway, I know this was stupid but I made a mistake. The rear suspension is messed up because of this. On the 100 mile drive home I was bouncing up and down like crazy. I wanted to get it fixed but no place was open on the weekend where I was. I took it in to the Midas near my house in Chicago this morning. What should this end up costing me?

i have no clue wtf you are talking about.. sry

BMW320i
07-31-2006, 02:01 AM
Abviously you are not a mechanic just take it to your Lincoln Dealer and take your wallet and all your credit cards with you. They will tell you how much it will cost for about $100. But you if you were a mechanic could troubleshoot this yourself with the help of this message board. The dealer will replace more than is needed. Just be aware. There are things that when something is replaced other parts associated is supposed to be replaced even if it is not faulty.

abroder
07-31-2006, 06:55 AM
D--picture a medium size cooler placed under the back of an SUV, with the back end of the car flush with the edge of the cooler. That's where it was. When I woke up the top of the cooler was slightly crushed.

BMW--you may be right, but my suspension is definitely screwed up. The back of the car is way low to the ground. There was some rough terrain I had to drive across, but not much at all. Could that have done it?

BMW320i
07-31-2006, 07:06 AM
A Navigator is designed to pull about 8000 pounds. With a tongue weight of more than 500 pounds. You sleeping in it or even loading the hell out of it did not cause the damage. It is just a coincidence. My friend just yesterday floored his truck and it sagged in the back and did not come back up. This was just coincidence too. It did not cause it. The first thing you need to check is to see if the air pump is working or not. If it is not then maybe that is all you need or maybe it is just a fuse or relay. Check the fuses and make sure they are all good, make sure the switch for the air suspension is on too. This is in the right side by where the passenger puts their feet. If the pump works then it is a prob with the bags or lines. When you start it you should hear a vibrating noise coming from the area just before the washer reservoir. It is silver and has a black round thing on it and is about as big as your fist. check this first.

BMW320i
07-31-2006, 07:08 AM
PS I would not let anyone but Ford or Lincoln touch the suspension except for maybe yourself. It could cost a lot more if they mess shit up.

abroder
07-31-2006, 09:26 AM
You're all correct, it isn't the suspension. I got a call from Midas. They're going to do a diagnostic on it, so I'll be paying a few hours for labor on that. The guy said it's an electrical problem and/or a problem with the pump/air bags which are not inflating in the back and are causing the back to sink to the ground. I've been to the Lincoln dealer in my area and I've been to Midas and I seem to trust the Midas folks a little more.

BMW320i
07-31-2006, 09:29 AM
It is prob a relay. It is not shown except for in the Lincoln Tech book. THe relay cost $105. So when Midas cannot figure it out ask them if they checked the relay.

Add your comment to this topic!