Page updated on 06-20-2018

454cu Cooling Problems

EdV
07-29-2006, 11:54 PM
HELP! I have a 1983 454cu motor installed in a 1970 ton GMC Pickup truck. Confounding problems with the cooling or should I say overheating problems but not really boil over. The motor will remain at normal operating range as long as the vehicle is moving down the street and without the AC on. Lost at the dilemma I had the motor rebuilt, but it still ran really hot. The shop tried different water pumps for the 454 funny thing all of the pumps were too long to fit with out hitting the radiator that must be because the truck came with a L47 400cu motor according to the specification sheet that came with the vehicle. I replaced the water pump previously, we compared it to in-stock pumps at the auto parts store the only match was to the 400 motor. Checked or replaced all of the components that the pros have told me, such as various cooling Fans; electric fans, flex fan, clutch fan, new rebuilt 4 core Radiator, vacuum leaks, timing, carburetion. I was talking to a guy that said he had the same problem his remedy was something about the crossover in the intake manifold ? and that the timing gear alignment could be adjusted? Now this was quite some time ago I am pretty sure that is what he said. What are your thoughts, anybody that can help out with this situation will be appreciated. EdV

my99cavy
07-30-2006, 02:18 PM
umm yeah your def in the wrong forum. this is cavaliers,sunfires etc. etc. you might want to try posting in this ..http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=22

MrR0b0t0
07-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Man, since when did all these diffrent cars start posting in here? I wonder if you look up car forums on google do you get this page or something? Oh well, least it makes cavi's more popular

my99cavy
07-30-2006, 03:01 PM
^thats exactly it. when you type it in on yahoo or google then it will show different sites with other car problems just like it. so i think they just click that link and then type in there problem.

EDIT: type there problem in not checking to see if there in the right vehicle part of the site.

Lances133
07-30-2006, 03:20 PM
I found this site many moons ago by typing in Cavalier chat or Cavalier chatroom in yahoo/google :lol:

my99cavy
07-30-2006, 03:26 PM
^yeah i found this site on yahoo when i typed in something about a clicking noise from my cavalier. lol

MrR0b0t0
07-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Hmm I just noticed some new additions to our forums besides the cavalier and sunfires.

The J-body subforums are shared with the Buick Skyhawk, Cadillac Cimarron, Chevrolet Cavalier, Oldsmobile Firenza, Pontiac J2000/Sunbird/Sunfire

my99cavy
07-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Hmm I just noticed some new additions to our forums besides the cavalier and sunfires.

The J-body subforums are shared with the Buick Skyhawk, Cadillac Cimarron, Chevrolet Cavalier, Oldsmobile Firenza, Pontiac J2000/Sunbird/Sunfire oh yeah i've known about those. but it doesnt list 1970 GMC whatever lol

EdV
08-01-2006, 05:39 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to enter your sancuary. At least I got it to post albeit the wrong place but you guys were nice about it and helped me out with the right place to go, You'll be 57 some day and hopefully the young guys will at that time be as cool as you. Ta for now

my99cavy
08-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to enter your sancuary. At least I got it to post albeit the wrong place but you guys were nice about it and helped me out with the right place to go, You'll be 57 some day and hopefully the young guys will at that time be as cool as you. Ta for nowyeah no problem EDV just trying to help out the fellow car enthusiast. :lol:

Cavalier2000
08-01-2006, 02:55 PM
but to answer your question, trucks have problems with airflow running through the front, try putting a 3 core radiator (if you don't already have one) and try using an aluminum rad. or you can take the stock fan off and run yourself a dual electric fan and have it running alot. Also use a lower opening thermy, (or i had to actually take my out in my truck which is one way to do it) and something called water wetter worrks as well

EdV
08-01-2006, 07:10 PM
thanks for the come back, all info helps

Cavalier2000
08-02-2006, 09:26 AM
See how many cores your rad is though that could make a huge difference, I have a video somewere (lost in the net probably) of my truck racing a 5.0 mustange and just watching the temp guage go up faster than the speedo, well that is till the huge 85mph speedo ran out of numbers

Add your comment to this topic!