Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

burnt electrical smell from a/c

FranktheFixer
07-29-2006, 01:24 PM
96 Grand Voyager SE with a 1 yr old a/c
Van was on remote starter, a/c on when wife noticed the Check Engine light was on and a burnt electrical smell coming from the a/c-
The a/c is still cold and the blowers all seem to work- key codes return 12 35 and end\55. The battery has not been recently disconnected. Any ideas would be appreciated...

earlyrizr
07-29-2006, 01:40 PM
code 35 relates to the rad fan control relay, which makes sense as the ac is run with the rad fans on.might want to check to see if the burning smell is present when the fans come on themselves w/o the ac on.could be that the fan is shorting out and causing excessive draw.

FranktheFixer
07-29-2006, 01:53 PM
thanks for the response-
get the smell whether the a/c is on or off, as long as the blowers are on-

FranktheFixer
07-29-2006, 02:56 PM
the wife did mention she thought she saw the temp light come on- I'm gonna have a look at those fans

earlyrizr
07-29-2006, 03:05 PM
if it looks like it's starting to get hot,I would put my money on the fan itself or wiring to it.see if you can spin the fans by hand,it should have a smooth fluid flow to it and not feel like it's dragging behind

RIP
07-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Sounds like the fumes were getting sucked in the air intake at the bottom of the windshield and into the van. Pushing the air circ button on the ventilation control panel should cut off outside air and let you avoid the smell as long as the windows are up. That's all secondary though.

FranktheFixer
07-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Well- it definitley seems like the radiator fans are out-- a/c on, car hot, neither fan turning- The a/c will engage the comp clutch, but only for a few seconds now- no cold air anymore- protecting itself (I hope)- the smell comes and goes now depending on re-circ or not sometimes no smell on either setting- sometimes on neither- So I guess it's the radiator fans and/or some fan control- those suckers are really hidden in there - it looks like a major job to do fan replacement, driver side seems to spin freeley with a small flick applied , the passenger side rad fan seems to have some resistance- is this a moderate or difficult job- average backyard mechanic skills implied. I was also wondering about afterm,arket performance fans, like I put in my '71RoadRunner many years ago, - I can't see how it would help anyway, the battle really seems like getting there. The older cars you could fit a small child between the rad and motor, on this one I could barely fit my hand. I have a haynes manual- I will never buy haynes again- back to chiltons for me

Add your comment to this topic!