Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Grand Am SE 2.4 L Twin Cam When Hot Outside Car Stalls All The Time

koonias
07-28-2006, 09:33 PM
So here the reading:
Powertrain
Pass and Failed History
PO113 Intake Air Temperature <IAT> Failed
PO171 Fuel Trim System Lean Failed
PO463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P1171 Fuel System Lean During Acceleration
P1630 Theft Detterent Lean Mode Active
Chasis
C1232 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit open or shorted <current codes>
History Codes
C1221 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal = 0
c1225 Left Front Excessive Wheel Speed Sensor Variation
c 1226 Right Front Excessive Wheel Speed Sensor Variation
c1232 Left Front Wheel Speed Circuit Open or shorted
c1233 Right Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted
c1236 Low System Voltage
C1286 EBCM/EBTCM Turned One the red brake warning indicator
C1291 Open Brake Lamp Switch Circuit during deceleration
C1293 DTC C1291 or C1292 set in current or previous ignition cycle

My car is always stalling when it is hot outside or idle for 15 minutes or more. But in the winter, cold and/or rainy days, the car works perfect.

I have had the plugs, air filter, fuel filter changed and continues to give me grief. And today I tooked it the garage again. The above is the diagnosis.

The mechanic reconnected a wire that was disconnected for the intake air temperature. He said that maybe the problem but we have to wait and see. He said he clear the codes and now we can start over again. <But I am sure a few days ago my partner disconnected it to see if that was the problem and just forgot to connected it again>

But last month I had this car on the computer and the mechanic detected the ignition lock and cylinder needed to be replace because the security light would come on the the car would have to sit for 10 minutes then would restart. Also the key had to be wiggle back n forth before you could get it started. At that time the mechanic said that the wrong codes were entered and so he clear all the codes at that time.

I also today had the transmission flushed because it was droppin when putting into to drive and dropping from first to second. But the mechanic said when he changed the fuild it was very dirty and I needed to change it more often than I did. Of course I had the car for two years, 249395 odo reading so yeah I guess I should do that regularly. But now that seems to be fine.

Also for the Left Wheel Speed Sensor, I am getting new bearings <I think that what the mechanic said> put in for next week so that clear the ABS light.

I have another question - my fuel gauge also goes a little wacky. When it is also 1/4 full the gauge reads full then right when it is empty the light goes on then back to a full gauge reading that just started last month. How do I fix that?

And during the winter time, when fueling it takes forever. It is like something blocking it from fueling - I swear about 15 minutes or more. But in the summer it has no problems fueling up. How do I fix that?
Once again, thanking you in advance for your suggestion. I felt a little powerful going into the garage because at least I had some knowledge about my car. The last garage told me I needed the fuel pump replaced, so I started researching and came across the website. I think I read somewhere if it is not broken then dont replace it. So thank you for empowering me.

Sandra

xeroinfinity
07-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Welcome to AF.

These codes,
PO113 Intake Air Temperature <IAT> Failed
PO171 Fuel Trim System Lean Failed
P1171 Fuel System Lean During Acceleration

Probly reffers to the wire that was unpluged, intake air temp.

with these,
C1232 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit open or shorted <current codes>
History Codes
C1221 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal = 0
c1225 Left Front Excessive Wheel Speed Sensor Variation
c 1226 Right Front Excessive Wheel Speed Sensor Variation
c1232 Left Front Wheel Speed Circuit Open or shorted
c1233 Right Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

I'd replace both front wheel speed sensors.
Is that your mileage or kilometers? (the 249395 )

this PO463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Voltage
is because the level in the gas tank probly needs replaced.

Alot of GAs (& other ponticas)hav this trouble with inaccurate fuel level readings. Which really sucks. The tank would hav to come off to fix this.

AAbout the cold fueling, its probly the stations pumps. Because the temps outside wouldnt change the diameter or the flow of the fuel into the fill neck, no way.

the "stalling when it is hot outside or idle for 15 minutes or more" thiers several things that can cause this.

Your IAC(idle air control) could be dirty or need replaced if its bad.
Fuel filter clogged or water in the fuel system.
Wet or damaged ignition system wires.
Your EGR could need cleaned, incorrectly gaped spark plugs, and even vacum leaks in the intake manifold.

Hope this helps !

Add your comment to this topic!