Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Camry oil pan woes (4 cyl - 170,000 mi)

poorlady
07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Thank you to everyone who has provided this outlet for frustrated/happy owners. This site has been a blessing since we bought our son the camry a few weeks ago. It started with a stalling problem, only happening 3+ miles away from home. Once the engine became cold again, it would start back up and drive about three miles again. Found this forum through Google and haven't left yet. My husband cleaned the egr valve, throttle body, etc... lots of sludge and carbon deposits. Then the car wouldn't start. Used forum again, (I honestly have read every camry post at least 3x. Didn't know about registering and searching until recently.) and did the diagnostic tests and found it was a bad coil. The car started, but now there's an oil leak, more near the passenger tire. Unable to definately tell where leak is coming from, he's starting with the oil pan. Using the Haynes manual, he disconnected the (forgive me if they're not exact) exhaust pipe, cross something and a block brace. Removed all of the screws and was able to get the pan to drop from the "lip". However, the pan doesn't seem to want to come all the way down. It's as if it's attached somewhere in the middle of the pan. (I know, because he gave up frustrated last night and I thought I'd help him out and remove it myself. Never, ever got under a car before. It's scary under there!) I was wondering if any of you wonderful people know what I'm talking about and would you have a solution to a really stupid problem?

Thanks so much for your help to this point!

somick
07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Welcome to the forum, poorlady!
I know that Subaru models have oil pick up tube in the oil pan. That might be the case. I also know that in lots of models you suppose to jack up the engine a bit (loosen engine mounts nuts and lift it).
One more great forum you can visit and ask the question is .....

Wish you luck.
And let us know what happens.

Sam

No general references to other autoforums are allowed. You may post a link if you have a specific reference to the answer to a question.

RIP
07-28-2006, 11:41 PM
Haynes manual says remove:

Front exhaust pipe
Crossmember
Block-to-transaxle brace

That's it. Haynes manuals never lie......

Sure it's not the valve cover gasket? After that I'd make dam sure the crankshaft seal isn't leaking oil on the timing belt. Letting that go could get ugly even with the non interference 3SFE engine.

Brian R.
07-29-2006, 02:13 AM
It is likely that the oil pick-up is hanging up on the oil pan. You may need to move the pan to the rear of the engine before it is free. Also, check the oil dip stick has been removed.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/rogersb/3S-FEOilPan.gif

poorlady
07-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Thank you to everyone who has posted. Your help is greatly appreciated! Spent another 30 minutes moving it all over the place, then the thunderstorms came so we had to give up. He's going to attemp to remove the oil strainer today. Hopefully all goes well. Again, thank you for your help!

poorlady
07-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Changing the oil pan gasket didn't stop the leak. We are going to attempt to change the oil pump seals and gaskets. Reviewing the manual and seeing what's involved is frightening. If anyone has done this and has any tips or pointers it would be very, very helpful. Also, is there anything else that we should change/replace that we overlooked in the manual. This is what I have listed after reading: #2 timing belt cover gasket, timing belt, front crankshaft oil seal, drive rotor O-ring, oil pump case gasket and oil pick-up gasket.

Thank You!

Add your comment to this topic!