Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Honda Parking Brake Problems

DeVus32v
07-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Hello! I am having a small issue with my car and was hoping someone might be able to offer me some insight into it. I checked through about 35 pages of this form and didn’t find anyone who had the exact same problem as me.

The car: 1991 Honda Accord LX, M/T with 192K.

The Problem: Recently the Parking Brake Light on the dash has been coming on intermittently. 3 days ago on my way home from work it came on for <30seconds and went out. 2 days ago it came on for about 5 minutes, and then when out. Then last night it came on again on my way home and stayed on. Left to go out to dinner, still on. Left for work this morning, still on. The light is not fully lit - it is barely illuminated and is somewhat difficult to see during the daytime. It does occasionally get *slightly* brighter, but is never full lit until the parking brake is set.

I don't know if this would be a factor or not, but we have had an unsually hot spell where I live the last 2 weeks with 100+ degree temps.

Recent Maintenance: I replaced the master cylinder and had all the rotors turned and pads replaced last year (less than 10k miles ago). The fluid is at the "MAX" line and the floater appears to be working properly. The brake pedal feels neither mushy or abnormal. The car stops correctly under light and heavy braking.

Thank you in advance for any help and/or suggestions you all may have to offer.

somick
07-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the forum!
I would make sure that the fluid sensor in the master cyllinder is clean and all the wiring/connectors intact.
Step two would be to check the parking brake switch. Unfortunatelly I have no idea where it is located.
When my alternator died on Subaru I got parking brake ligth glow slightly along with some other warning lights. So check out your alternator.

Sam

DeVus32v
07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Welcome to the forum!
I would make sure that the fluid sensor in the master cyllinder is clean and all the wiring/connectors intact.
Step two would be to check the parking brake switch. Unfortunatelly I have no idea where it is located.
When my alternator died on Subaru I got parking brake ligth glow slightly along with some other warning lights. So check out your alternator.

Sam

Thanks Sam! New to this forum yes, obviously. I *love* online communities like this - great source for useful information, trouble shooting, deals on used/new parts, etc., etc., etc.

I'll try that after work tonight.

Any other suggestions from other members for me to try after work????

Add your comment to this topic!