Ignition Switch/Fuse Problem - Solved

Rick Norwood
07-27-2006, 08:24 PM
2001 S10 Blazer 4.3, 4x4, W motor. Here's a real stumper. I have all of the classic symyoms of a bad ignition switch. No Fuel Gage, no PRNDL, No Odometer. No Airbag or other dash indicator lights, etc. etc. etc :banghead:

Classic Ignition switch right? :grinno:

Wrong! I replaced the Ignition switch with a brand new one and it didn't help a bit.:screwy:

I'm Stuck - Help.

old_master
07-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I am looking over the schematic trying to find a common denominator. Have you checked all of the fuses with a voltmeter?

DINO55
07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi Rick, I'm not 100% sure any of these sign's( No Fuel Gage, no PRNDL, No Odometer) were part of the Classic Ignition Switch??? Sounds to me like you may have a bad electrical connection somewhere. Have you tried pulling out the dash cluster and pushing it back in. (GM's famous Copper ribbon tape plug connector) Also how old is your battery, are the cables clean and tight. All ground cables and straps clean and tight? I hate electrical problems. Good luck....

BlazerLT
07-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Might be a bad tumbler as well.

Rick Norwood
07-28-2006, 03:51 PM
This is huge! You will never believe this one. I hope this gets all the recognition that it truly deserves under the heading of how the littlest things can cause the biggest problems.:grinyes:

First a little background. Due other commitments, I didn't have time to R&R the ignition switch myself, but needed the truck fixed in a hurry, so I took it to my favorite Garage. After reviewing all of the symptoms, they agreed that the Ignition switch was most likely the culprit.

To make a long story short, the new ignition switch didn't solve anything, and after 1 1/2 days of diagnostics, scanning, and reading wiring schematics, the problem was a missing 10 amp fuse that had completely fallen out of the number 3 position in the fuse box on the left side of the dash board next to the driver's door. The fuse is actually for the Cruise Control.

The fuse was not in its socket, and therefore was not there when the fuses were checked with a meter. The fuse must have fallen down inside the dash, as it wasn't in the bottom of the panel either. According to the mechanic, a hard door slam probably jarred the fuse out of its socket.

Who would have ever thought that a Cruise Control fuse would have anything to do with the instrument panel, fuel gage, PRNDL lights etc. but it did. :screwy: Once the fuse was re-installed, everything came back on and was back to normal.

I am going to try to find a photo of a Fuse panel with all of the fuses properly installed for future reference. Maybe this will save someone a ton of cash by simply verifying the fuses are not only testing good, but are also where they are supposed to be.

Thanks to everyone that responded.:bananasmi

Rick

Rick Norwood
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi Rick, I'm not 100% sure any of these sign's( No Fuel Gage, no PRNDL, No Odometer) were part of the Classic Ignition Switch??? Sounds to me like you may have a bad electrical connection somewhere. Have you tried pulling out the dash cluster and pushing it back in. (GM's famous Copper ribbon tape plug connector) Also how old is your battery, are the cables clean and tight. All ground cables and straps clean and tight? I hate electrical problems. Good luck....

Hey Dino, Do a google search on this number:

01-07-30-002c

It is a technical service bulletin that among other things describes and inoperative instrument panel with the fix of replacing the Ignition switch.

I didn't believe it either until I saw it for myself.

blazee
07-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Glad that you got it fixed Rick. I've renamed the thread to "The littlest things can cause the biggest problems. [Solved]" and have made it a sticky. After a few days, I'll change the name back and unstick it.

blazee
07-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey Dino, Do a google search on this number:

01-07-30-002c

It is a technical service bulletin that among other things describes and inoperative instrument panel with the fix of replacing the Ignition switch.

I didn't believe it either until I saw it for myself.
These has been an updated TSB, that covers more vehicles. 01-07-30-002d. The TSB does list an inoperative cluster as one of the possible problems.

The ignition switch can cause the problems described above as well as many more. The list includes:
Stalling
No Start
No power to the fuel pump
Flashing dash lights
Inoperative dash lights
Erratic gauge operation
Loss of power to the tranny causing solenoid failure codes

Basically anything routed through the switch can be affected by it's failure. You may only experience a few of the symptomns or possibly all of them.

I still have a hard time believing their story that the fuse just bounced out, though.

Rick Norwood
07-28-2006, 06:57 PM
I still have a hard time believing their story that the fuse just bounced out, though.

I agree, but I don't know what else to think. I do know that neither me nor my daughter removed the fuse and I can't explain how the fuse ended up missing all together. Chalk this one up to one of life's strangest mysteries.

Rick Norwood
07-31-2006, 09:14 AM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/ricknorwood/FusePanel.jpg

Here is a picture of the fuse panel as promised. The Arrow points to the #3 Fuse that was missing. The "10" is barely visible on the fuse, but it is a 10 amp fuse. This is the Fuse panel just inside the drivers door, on the left side of the dash, with the cover door removed. Every Socket has a fuse in it except number 1 and 20.

old_master
07-31-2006, 04:05 PM
I am looking over the schematic trying to find a common denominator. Have you checked all of the fuses with a voltmeter?

Just another thing to add to the "visual inspection" list when checking fuses; keep in mind that every fuse socket with two terminals, probably should have a fuse in it ;)

biv343
08-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Well Rick, I'd like to thank you for saving me time and money. My wife got back from a 300+ mile trip last weekend. She mentioned that the odometer wasn't displaying anymore, and the radio display was blank. The gages worked though. I could see the odometer display when I turned the igntion switch on, but just for a second. I thought I had the igntion switch problem also. I figured, just for grins, that I'd check the cruise control fuse, and sure enough it was blown. Popped in a new fuse, and everything is back to normal.

Only question in my mind now is why the fuse blew in the first place. I'll keep my eyes on it. Thanks again.

Rick Norwood
08-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Well Rick, I'd like to thank you for saving me time and money. My wife got back from a 300+ mile trip last weekend. She mentioned that the odometer wasn't displaying anymore, and the radio display was blank. The gages worked though. I could see the odometer display when I turned the igntion switch on, but just for a second. I thought I had the igntion switch problem also. I figured, just for grins, that I'd check the cruise control fuse, and sure enough it was blown. Popped in a new fuse, and everything is back to normal.

Only question in my mind now is why the fuse blew in the first place. I'll keep my eyes on it. Thanks again.

Man, that is Sweet! :grinyes: You made my Day! It cost me $350 bux USD to find this out. It was worth it to know that someone saved some money. That's what this forum is all about!

It sure makes you wonder how many people have been ripped off for the price of a new ignition switch because of a fuse.:screwy:

Oh BTW any donations you would care to send to help cover the $350 bux would be greatly appreciated! LOL LOL LOL!:rofl:

Drewnasty
08-23-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm having this same problem. Went to leave my job yesterday and the battery gauge was reading low, and then low voltage light came on. Tried to turn the corner and the truck completely stopped. Gave it a boost thinking maybe the battery is dead. While giving it a boost the truck would start and run, but the minute I took the cables off it died.

Nevertheless I went around the corner to install a new battery and the truck fired right up. But still in all the voltage gauge was still reading low.
Drove the truck around my job for a minute and most of gauges stop working.

I'm going to check out all the fuses before I assume it's the ignition switch, but I believe it is; due to the simple fact that I hit the top of the steering column the gauges would operate fine except for the voltage reading.

I'm wondering could this be the alternator as well

98blazerRI
08-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Yes, just a reminder that some of these symptoms are also do to a bad alternator..... That was my problem.... But I learned on the Great Blazer board always check the simple things first......

unluckie88
04-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Wow, I'm going to check this the moment daylight hits. It makes so much sense that this is exactly my issue. A stupid fuse.... I am so happy that I decided to google before going to the shop! Thanks a bunch.

Rick Norwood
04-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Wow, I'm going to check this the moment daylight hits. It makes so much sense that this is exactly my issue. A stupid fuse.... I am so happy that I decided to google before going to the shop! Thanks a bunch.

Just be sure that you post back with your results good or bad. :iceslolan

Add your comment to this topic!