Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hawaii Rodeo Owners? Having trouble climbing hills (97 Rodeo 3.2)

sollybro
07-27-2006, 04:41 AM
Hey guys,

Just moved to the Big Island, and am shocked at how many perfect, running, Isuzu Rodeos there are out here.

BUT, Im having a lot of trouble climbing hills even at 50 MPH without jumping into a lower gear and revving at 3k...

Im not used to ANY hills, but my 1997 Rodeo 3.2 Auto, 112k miles, is having tons of trouble and feels weaker than weak when climbing hills.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

BTW-Is there a way to turn OVERDRIVE on and off? Or is "D3" the same as OD OFF?

Thanks a ton!!!

Ramblin Fever
07-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Welcome!

3K RPM's at 50 mph doesn't sound unusual to me, I have the same year, same engine as you, and I live in the Rocky Mountain Region. I'm hitting 3k rpm's at the base of the mountain, by the time I top most mountains, I'm hitting 4k rpm's.

Nothing unusual here.

If you're use to having lived in the flat-lands, you're just not used to allowing the engine to work a bit. 3-4k RPM's on the 3.2L's is harmless, I very RARELY ever take it past 4k rpm's though - as it really serves no purpose.

This engine is designed to put out optimum power in this range.

Two things you can do to help stay in the correct power band, if you notice the truck downshifting quite a bit on an upslope, manually shift down to 3rd gear if you're within the 45-50mph range.

Otherwise, your "Powermode" button serves as the "O/D OFF" button persay, what this does is keeps your transmission on the up and up as to which gear is appropriate for the speed your going and the load on the transmission.

I would NOT recommend manually shifting to 3rd gear if you're at 55mph+, however you CAN leave the "Powermode" on at all times and it won't hurt a thing. It acts as the "brain" if you will, in helping the tranny decide what gear is best for the slope you're on.

I climb the I-70 corridor quite frequently, sometimes climbing into the 9-12k feet range, I typically push the "Powermode" button at the start of the mountains, leaving the lever in the "D" selection.

There are some grades, i.e. Loveland Pass, where I manually shift down to 3rd gear, and turn "OFF" the Powermode feature.

As, leaving the "Powermode" feature ON with the gear shift in 3rd, the truck will have a tendency to overwork itself and shift down to 2nd at 45-50mph - sending your rpm's to 4,500.

In this instance, I'd rather go a tad slower in 3rd gear, versus trying to keep 50mph in 2nd gear.

I have never been to Hawaii, but I'm guessing most mountain passes may not be as steep as Colorado's. Thus, 2nd gear is probably not something you'll need, as I've VERY rarely ever used it myself - when I have, that's with pulling our 4K# boat.

I would not be driving mountain passes simply in the "D" range if you feel constant up and down shifting, and/or engine lugging, you WILL burn up the transmission.

Keep in mind, you have a heavy truck (i.e. 4k#) mated to a somewhat weak, but strong willed engine.

Living in mountainous regions will truly teach an owner of the importance of preventative maintenance, i.e. spark plugs, filters, belts, hoses, transmission fluid, etc. as one will learn quickly if their vehicle is not in tune.

If your plugs have over 40k, change them; also, if you haven't done it yet, your hitting the time of needing a new timing belt, waterpump, and probably O2 sensors (there are 4 on this truck) - those items alone, though not cheap if you take it to someone, will make a very noticeable difference.

We have the 4L30-E GM Transmission, a tranny famous for complete failure if overheated, low on fluid, and/or dirty fluid. I currently just rolled over 158,800 miles on my truck, original transmission, and I change the fluid every 30k miles on a flush or every 15k miles on a partial drain/refill.

If it's been more then 30k on your transmission since your last fluid change, do a partial drain/refill and keep that fluid clean, can't stress that enough living in the mountainous regions.

There are still a LOT of older Rodeo's here in Colorado, they may have a weak output engine, but the 3.2L sohc are very strong willed and sturdy built.

FWIW - I've just recently gone through a major tune-up myself; i.e. 2nd timing belt and waterpump. New NGK sparkplugs, fuel filter, transmission serviced with new fluid and filter, all new O2 sensors, EGR cleaning, PCV valve replacement, etc. it still hits the 3-4k rpm range when climbing, but feels strong while doing it.

johnsm
07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Use a top notch oil filter. I found out that my 2000 auto Rodeo didn't seem to downshift as much when going up hill. I use the Napa Nascar spinflow filter made by wix (it is suppose to move your oil faster through the system) but you can also use Purolator Plus One and Napa Gold and also the Isuzu filter is suppose to be good.

John

Gizmo42
07-27-2006, 07:08 PM
and I change the fluid every 30k miles on a flush or every 15k miles on a partial drain/refill.
Now come on RF tell the truth, you do partial changes 4 times in one month LOL

Glad I have a 5 speed. Protetype was following me up I-70 by Genesee and had trouble catching up to me with his automatic. I had the a/c on so had to drop to 4th but mine scooted right up the hill no problem.

Ramblin Fever
07-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Now come on RF tell the truth, you do partial changes 4 times in one month LOL

That's too funny!!:lol:

Can't remember, does Protetype have a 3.2L Dohc or 3.2L Sohc??

Of course, Gizmo42 :cwm27: , your's IS going to fly up the mountain - you have the Dohc with 205hp, mine is the 190hp sohc loaded with about 700-1k# of vehicle accessories - i.e. big luggage rack, bigger tires, brushguard, hitch, 2 extra skidplates etc.

And, I also have the tendency to baby mine a bit too.

How many RPM's are you typically pulling? Saying going up the Eisenhower corridor area?

Gizmo42
07-28-2006, 12:17 AM
He has 3.2 DOHC, his is an '01.

Havent had mine as far as eisenhower yet. I think I was turning around 3-3.5k going up genisee in 4th when we were able to get up to 65.

I imagine I will have a bit more trouble whenever I lift it and put on 32s or 33s. I do have several hundred lbs of tools I always carry in back (not sure exactly what the weight is) but still not as much extra weight as you are pushing.

I obviously dont baby mine with my steady 15.5 mpg lol.. at least mines not an oil burner thankfully.

Ramblin Fever
07-28-2006, 01:05 AM
at least mines not an oil burner thankfully.

I hear ya there.

Took the Rodeo up to Blue Mesa recently, hitting 4-4500 rpm's on Red Mountain pass (IIRC) 6-7 miles worth at 11k feet I believe - both ways, running an average of 3-3500 rpm's for over 4 hours with at least 500# camping gear on top of the normal accessories, didn't even use enough to say it's totally off the full line.

And get this, I averaged 21mpg staying in the 50-55mph range.

I must say though, I do NOT even dream of using A/C while on those steep grades, that's just too much to ask of it.

Geneise?? Come on dude, that's as far as you've gotten :rofl: Load that baby up and get out on the road, hit up through Eisenhower onto Loveland Pass, and into the Glenwood Canyon - man, that's a beautiful canyon.

Then come back and tell me how many RPM's you're pushing....hehehehe:cwm27:

Ramblin Fever
07-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Gizmo - wanted to add, as long as you live in the Rockies, I would NOT go as large as 33" tires, there are some trails way back in on the flat-tops, i.e. just off the Rifle exit (WAY into the mountains) that I'm sure at some point you'll be interested in and climbing the I-70 corridor to get there will be a mighty struggle if that truck's loaded with heavy tires, luggage, etc.

For this reason, 32" tires are my MAX, I will not go any bigger or heavier. In fact, in a recent thread, I shed a bit of weight off the undercarriage in taking off the steel rims and putting on alloy. We do do a lot of trails, but it's not like we bounce over boulders, etc. so I'm sure these will hold up - there is a marked difference in the unsprung weight.

Gizmo42
07-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Then come back and tell me how many RPM's you're pushing....hehehehe:cwm27:

You buy my gas and I'll do all the test driving you want :iceslolan

climbing the I-70 corridor to get there will be a mighty struggle if that truck's loaded with heavy tires, luggage, etc.

Yea thats why I was thinking 32's as well. Every little bit of ground clearance is nice (just ask my rodeo after doing bill moore trail 2 weeks in a row) but we are already down nearly 20% on HP just because of the altitude. Even more so in the mountains.

Not sure if I'm going anywhere this weekend, might just sleep in and stay home in the A/C :smokin: I refuse to not use the a/c in my truck, thats the biggest reason I got rid of my mitsu and bought this one. Figured at 39 yrs old its about time I had a vehicle with a/c in it. Dont care if I had to crawl up the passes in 1st gear with big rigs passing me, I'm using a/c :rofl:

Ramblin Fever
07-28-2006, 12:53 PM
You buy my gas and I'll do all the test driving you want :iceslolan

I hear ya! Have only been into the mountains once so far this summer, and that was to go to Blue Mesa for the weekend.

I haven't done any trail runs this year, may not have time or money too.

Does yours run fine on 85 octane? I have to use 87 octane or it runs like crap - been like this since the day I bought it 9yrs ago.

Gizmo42
07-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Runs fine on 85 octane. All my vehicles have so far. The only time I've heard it making noise was on this last run to bill moore lake, but that was my fault. Was on the trail and going up a hill in 2wd that I should have been in 4 low and lugged it pretty bad. Protetype even hear it and he was a ways back.

No pinging so far on the road, or even on the trail going up steep sections at altitude as long as I'm in the right gear lol.

Add your comment to this topic!