Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Plymouth Voyager a/c issues

soulmans
07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
I need help. I have a 1998 Ply Voyager with a/c issues. The a/c works when it wants to. When the unit is in the off postition it still blows cold air only when the van is moving. The a/c button will light up when this happens When the unit is on it will sometimes blow and then shut off. What can be causing this???

RIP
07-28-2006, 01:06 AM
With the switch in the off position and on position, apply up/down left/right pressure with a small screwdriver inserted well into the switch cavity. If the A/C turns on and off replace the A/C switch.

soulmans
07-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try it and it didn't do anything. Would there be anymore suggestions?

RIP
07-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Ok the switch appears good. Something is powering the A/C clutch relay on when it shouldn't. That's the only way the A/C will turn on or off. Power is always at the relay. It only turns on when a ground is supplied. I got a hunch you never see these problems when the van is sitting in the driveway. Road vibrations are doing it. Have you tried tapping/wiggling the A/C clutch relay on the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and the PDC itself and watching the clutch to see if it will engage/disengage. Next try swapping the relay with an identical relay somewhere else on the PDC or buy a new relay.

I appologize if I'm getting too basic but, the clutch is part of the A/C compressor. It's what transfers the spinning action of the belt to the piston in the compressor. The compressor is mounted on the passenger side of the engine and the clutch is the metal ring just outboard of the pully/belt. When the A/C is off the clutch shouldn't spin. When it's on the clutch spins.

Beyond the relay there's wiring, a pressure transducer, and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). I'm a little fuzzy here so if I'm wrong I hope somebody will correct me. The A/C Pressure Transducer is part of the compressor (I think) and senses the pressures in the system. If the pressure is to low it won't allow the PCM to apply a ground to complete the circuit to the clutch relay. This prevents the clutch from engaging and destroying the compressor due to lack off lubrication from low or no freon pressures. If the transducer detects good pressure it allows the PCM to complete the ground to the relay and powers on the clutch/compressor. If there is an intermittent failure in that circuit, you see it as intermittent cool air.

For now check out the relay. That is the most likely point of failure. Cheers!

soulmans
07-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Well I want to thank you for all your suggestions. It appears to have been the relay switch for the blower fan. I don't how or why. I had my neighbor looked at it he said if the blower not working would cause the compressor to kick of too. But it seems to be working fine know.

RIP
07-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Well I guess more specifics would have helped. The important thing is your headache is gone. Best wishes.

BTW - If you or the neighbor changed that blower relay...concider yourself bonified shadetree mechanics. That relay is a B!@#$% to get at. Cheers!

soulmans
08-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Guess what it was working fine than just stopped ao I guess it was not the relay.

NoHighPlaces
08-22-2010, 08:18 PM
I own a 2001 Voyager with nearly the same exact problem as the previous post. The AC works when it wants to! It seems to be temperature related because when the daily temps go above 80 or 85, it only blows warm air unless the car is moving down the road, then the AC will work the entire time. If I come to a traffic light for 5 seconds,you will shortly find it is blowing only warm air again and the only way to get the cold air back is if I shut off the car and restart it(I guess that resets the PCM?) When I start the car back up, I wont turn on the AC until the car is moving down the road and its fine and COLD as long as Im moving! Another thing is if I see a traffic light ahead, and shut off the AC before i come to a stop, it will work once I get going again as long as I wait till Im moving to turn on the AC. When the daily temps are cooler like in the 70's or lower the AC works fine no matter how often I stop. An entire compressor kit was put on only six months ago by a reputable shop because the clutch pulley was locking up and stalling the car. Anyone with advice, please let me know because I am currently told it is the PCM that is not sending the ground when needed so the PCM needs to be replaced. I dont have the money!
Dale1971@verizon.net

Add your comment to this topic!