95 w/ 5.9 pouring out black smoke

kev_79
07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi,

My dad has a 95 2500 with a 5.9. He was pulling his camper (33ft) last weekend and he said he had no power and there was a lot of black smoke coming out the exhaust. If he would push down the accelerator to the point just before it down-shifted he said the engine would come back to life and accelerate with normal power (and no black smoke). Then he would let up to just cruise at a consistet speed and he would lose power again and the black smoke was back.

He drove it around without the camper and there is a little bit of black smoke and it seemed to have decent power. The problem is most noticable under load.

Any suggestions would be great, thank you!!

Slade901
07-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Hi,

My dad has a 95 2500 with a 5.9. He was pulling his camper (33ft) last weekend and he said he had no power and there was a lot of black smoke coming out the exhaust. If he would push down the accelerator to the point just before it down-shifted he said the engine would come back to life and accelerate with normal power (and no black smoke). Then he would let up to just cruise at a consistet speed and he would lose power again and the black smoke was back.

He drove it around without the camper and there is a little bit of black smoke and it seemed to have decent power. The problem is most noticable under load.

Any suggestions would be great, thank you!!

Excess Black smore is typically a sign of excessive fuel not burned properly because of probably leaking gas, failing injectors, fuel pressure regulator leaking, etc.

White smoke is usually coolant leaking inside the engine.

Bluish smoke is usually leaking oil getting burned.

kev_79
07-26-2006, 08:55 AM
thank you for the reply.

I am familiar with what the smoke colors mean though. I was hoping to hear if someone thought it might be a throttle position sensor, O2 sensor, leaky injectors (although with the amount of smoke and getting less than 5 mpg would that be from just one bad injector?). Something that controls the timing?

89ltd
07-27-2006, 01:46 AM
try pulling the vacum hose off the fuel pressure regulator, with the engine running, check for any signs of gas running in the vacum hose, if there is, the regulator is leaking and the vacum is sucking raw fuel and sending it into the throttle body.

Add your comment to this topic!