Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Ford Taurus blower problems.

horchem1972
07-25-2006, 09:37 PM
:screwy: :banghead: I have a 1997 Ford Taurus that took a spell where the ac/heater blower was still running with the car turned off.I finally got it to turn off.The next day I went to work and the blower was not working at all.Please give me possible solutions to the problem.Thank you--Chris

shorod
07-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Was the blower on the highest speed setting when it continued to run? Does your Taurus have the 3 dials for HVAC controls or the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC)?

Sounds like maybe you have a sticky blower motor relay. The relay is located in the engine compartment fuse/relay box and has power to the pole at all times. The coil gets power with the key on. If the relay sticks closed, the blower motor will continue to run in whichever position the fan speed switch is left in.

The blower motor resistor block has a thermal fuse in it that may have opened if the blower was left running for a long period of time. If that is the case, the blower motor will fail to work in any speed but high speed.

-Rod

horchem1972
07-26-2006, 03:55 PM
The taurus does have the three separate controls and it did get stuck on high.Would it be best to replace the relay first?Thanks for the advice Rod.I found the relay and replaced it already.The blower works fine again.Thank you very much for your advice.--Chris

shorod
07-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Good job, and thank you for the follow-up!

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!