Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car Squealing problem

Hoppeeswife
07-25-2006, 04:28 PM
The last week or so my car has been making a very annoying high pitch squealing noise. I have a 1997 Grand AM GT. You can hear it when I am at slow speeds, especially turning a corner to the right, once I get up to a higher maintained speed it stops.

Does anyone have any input as to what this might be? I am going to have it checked out tomorrow or Thursday but I kinda want to know before hand or at least have an idea.

Also whatever it is that you may think it is, is it okay to leave the way it is until I get it checked out?

Thanks!

Hoppeeswife
07-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Disregard...For some reason this was posted in the Cutlass thread, not the GrandAM thread somehow..

BNaylor
07-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Disregard...For some reason this was posted in the Cutlass thread, not the GrandAM thread somehow..

This forum is also correct. It is the new GM "N" body forum which includes the Grand Am.

The high pitch noise sounds like a disc brake wear indicator meaning the pads are wearing out. As the pad wears it gets closer to the rotor. The indicator (metal tab) rubs on the disc rotor causing the high pitched squeal.

What condition are your brakes in or when was any brake work last done?

Hoppeeswife
07-25-2006, 09:59 PM
This forum is also correct. It is the new GM "N" body forum which includes the Grand Am.

The high pitch noise sounds like a disc brake wear indicator meaning the pads are wearing out. As the pad wears it gets closer to the rotor. The indicator (metal tab) rubs on the disc rotor causing the high pitched squeal.

What condition are your brakes in or when was any brake work last done?

Thanks for the response, and clearing up why this showed up in this forum :)

My Father in law thinks its the brakes as well. The last time I had my brakes done was back in 2002 probably around spring of that year. I have no idea what condition they are in, but what you are describing is making sense as to why it would be squealing.

How long can I go like this? I am getting my oil changed tomorrow after work and will have them double check to see exactly what the problem is, if it is the brakes my father law and my husband will change them on Saturday, I hope that isn't too long to wait, I drive about 20 miles every day on my car which is minimal but if I have to stop driving that much I will.

Thanks again!

BNaylor
07-26-2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the response, and clearing up why this showed up in this forum :)

My Father in law thinks its the brakes as well. The last time I had my brakes done was back in 2002 probably around spring of that year. I have no idea what condition they are in, but what you are describing is making sense as to why it would be squealing.

How long can I go like this? I am getting my oil changed tomorrow after work and will have them double check to see exactly what the problem is, if it is the brakes my father law and my husband will change them on Saturday, I hope that isn't too long to wait, I drive about 20 miles every day on my car which is minimal but if I have to stop driving that much I will.

Thanks again!

You're welcome.

I would not wait too long. Hopefully you'll make it until Saturday. Basically when the wear indicator does it thing with the annoying noise it is a warning . You may only have about 2 - 4mm of pad left. After that it will be metal on metal.

Whatever you decide to do it is very important to use good quality disc pads and rotors. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!