Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Temp creeps up at idle

ScottMustMoto
07-25-2006, 02:45 PM
I noticed that when I am sitting for a little while with the car at idle the temp guage will start creeping up. it is a 97 GA SE with the 2.4L 4 Cyl. I was listening for a fan to click on but didn't hear anything. Should the fan click on at a certain temp like a lot of cars? I never smell any coolant and see no signs of any leaks and the temp sits right where it should as long as I am moving. It has never climbed all the way to the H, but still creeps up none the less. The car only has 42,000 miles on it because it was garaged for the last 7 years. Maybe that has something to do with it? Any insight would help. Thanks in advance.

Cadinrfv
07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
My 93 GAGT does the same thing when sitting at Idle too long. When i say too long, not like at a stop light and such, more like parked and waiting for 10 minutes.

It has done that since i bought it. Creeps up past the first mark but before it can get a third of the way up, my fan kicks on.

The air cooling while driving should almost always keep it at a decent operating temperature.

You should double check that the fan is coming on and operating properly at the right temps.

Using a scantool you should be able to test and force the fan on manually to ensure that the fan itslef isn't seized.

If the fan comes on thru the scantool, but not at regular idle, i would check further to ensure that the computer control module isn't bad.

gebster76
07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
how high is it going? does it stay normal on the highway?

ScottMustMoto
07-25-2006, 05:40 PM
stays right where it should be when on the highway, on the cool side of normal. I don't remember ever hearing the fan come on so that must be it. I hope it is not the ECM

gebster76
07-28-2006, 09:19 PM
stays right where it should be when on the highway, on the cool side of normal. I don't remember ever hearing the fan come on so that must be it. I hope it is not the ECM

I think the fans come on at 220 degrees. I was told you can make the fans come on sooner some how but I don't know for sure

GASE 95
07-31-2006, 01:19 PM
mine also creeps up while idling for a while. I dont think my fan kicks on either cuz once it gets up the car starts to shake a bit unless of course thats the fan turning on...i dunno i never really cared because it goes back down within a minute or two of moving.

xeroinfinity
07-31-2006, 05:30 PM
The fans should come on at 225-230 degrees.
OR when the ac is on, they should also run.

Your 97' should hav two fan relays(1 for each) and a fuse or two. I'd check/test that possibility first.

It is normal in the summer that when idling for long periods the temps will rise, but the fans should kick in if it gets to hot.

Add your comment to this topic!