Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Wrangler Squeaking

abestoller
07-25-2006, 12:29 PM
I just started noticing that my jeep is squeaking when it moves up and down.....when I hit a bump, when I come to a stop and even when I just bounce on the bumper with the car turned off. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Of course a quick fix is preferred but any help is appreciated. Thanks. Also, whoever told me to change my steering stabilizer to remedy my death wobble...you were dead on. Changed it out and now i'm cruising with no problems. Thanks.

scoutinkeith
07-27-2006, 11:52 AM
squeeking can be caused by many things. basically, you're going to have to check everything under the jeep. I'd start by checking the bushings in the springs and shackles. also check between the leaves of the spring packs, as the jeep moves up and down, the leaves of the springs slide across eachother. also check shock mounts and bushings. if you have poly bushings, and they are in good shape, you can take them out and grease them. however, if you still have the stock rubber bushings, your best bet is to replace them. also, it's a good idea to give everything under the jeep a good once-over just to make sure nothing is loose or rubbing where it shouldn't be.

and a side note about the deth wobble, keep an eye on your track bar(assuming the jeep is stock, and the track bar is still there). most of the time deth wobble is caused by bad track bar ends, but if they are just starting to wear out, a steering stabalizer will just "cover up" the problem untill the track bar ends wear a little more, and the death wobble will return.

abestoller
07-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your advice. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Regarding the steering stabilizer. If the one I had on there was completely spent....then is it safe to say that it was the problem.....and not just covering the problem up by changing?

scoutinkeith
07-27-2006, 02:32 PM
well, yes and no. generally the term "deth wobble" means that the entire front axle assembly is shaking side to side.
and in most cases, with a worn steering stabalizer, the tires will "shimmy" side to side.

you are probably ok, but just to be safe, it would be a good idea to have a buddy turn the steering wheel lock to lock wile you watch everything on the front end. you'll want to watch the ends of the track bar to make sure that there isn't an excessive amount of play. if there is a lot of play, you'll actuailly be able to see the frame shift side to side before the tires start to turn.
hope this helps ya out.

Add your comment to this topic!