Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Possible Main Relay problem, but extremelt unsure

krishverma01
07-25-2006, 03:16 AM
Hey guys, ive done alot of reading on this Main relay topin, see what my 92 Accord with a F20 Swap is doing is, when I begin in first gear toping it out, once i seem to pass 2000 RPM the, RPM needle begins to skip back and forth jumping at times to 8000 RPM but obviously not actually reving at that poing, however I chose to ignore what the needle said, but what you can actually feel is the engine slightly cutting out, you can say its kkind of bouncing this happens with normal-fast acceleration with all gears, other than this I am aware that my relay may be gone aswell because my car has quit on mke on hot days, and will restart several hours later, should I just take my bet and change the main relay? or could the cutting out of the engine be soemthing with fuel regulation? any help would be appreciated, I simply couldnt find any other forum with the same jumping RPM problem that i am having.

phantastic1
07-26-2006, 03:35 PM
i would first check for any stored cel. you may have a problem w/ your distributer. your tach (rpm) signal is from there also...the crank signal is w/in the distributer. this could be an area to start troubleshooting. but if your set on replacing the main relay...you can save some money by removing the main relay...open the relay up...and re-solder all the contacts. most of the time...the main relay goes bad b/c the solder contacts starts to crack.

krishverma01
08-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Hey, thanks but how do i check the distributor to see if that is the problem, or do I simply replace the entire distributor? Another possibility, in making sure that that is the problem is that when i rev the engine when the car is neutral, in no gear the rpm needle wont skip, only in gear, does this improve the chances for the distributors problem? let me know.

Add your comment to this topic!