Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best (reasonable) Security System out there?

Catspa
08-14-2002, 08:06 AM
Ok, just bought a 94 Civic, and thinking about installing a security system in it.
My last car was a 89 Ford SHO - Anyrate i had bought and installed a Viper 500 HF in it, but all in all i was really disapointed with DEI as a company - cause i bought it shortly after Code Hopining came out and DEI was being very deceptive with the labeling on there boxes about code hopping etc. Seriously, basically they were selling older units in boxes that said they had code hopeing, along side the new units that had it - I talked to DEI direclty about this, and there were very non comital on any of it...ie saying yes, maybe, no.. ah well possible.. So I'm thinking perhaps going with a Cliford system...
So whats your recommendations?

anyand all info appreciated, thxs!

Catspa
08-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Come on guys, no one has an opinion here?
DEI or CLifford or somethin else?

Performance/Quality & Value is what needs to be considered....
something that came with a proximity sensor would be nice..
Something that would easily allow for additional modifications, like adding on pain generators that had 5 second delays on them..etc..
Comeon legs get creative............

ci5ic
08-15-2002, 09:13 PM
I would go with a compustar alarm system (2WSS series). It's a little bit spendy, but from what I've heard it's worth it. It's a paging alarm with a range of 6000ft.

http://www.compustar.org/products/2WSS.html

Catspa
08-16-2002, 08:55 AM
aahh, that feels better, thanks for the reply.
Interesting alarm, i'd considered a paging alarm back when i bought my other one. The problem with it, as i see it, is that I don't really need to know when my alarm goes off, because either its within sight, or within ear shot, or its not. If my car is parked around the corrner down the block, and the alarm pager goes off, i'm not going to run to my car to see whats going on every time the alarm goes off. I know that usually when a alarm goes off its a fauls alarm, ie some bumped your car or dinged it... it sucks but theres nothing you can really do about it, 9/10 alerts are for reason such as this..

What i need in an alarm is something that is loud, that will alert people around to look at vehicle, something that has a good adjustable sensitive sensor, hopfully a internal proximity sensor along with a glass break sensor... or not... I'd really like the option of installing a pain sensor though, something that i could rig with a 5 second delay. that way then the F is ripping the crap out of my dash, to get my stereo (without the face plate) the pain sensor would go off.... etc..

I've had my cars broken into 4 times. Once without an alarm, 3 with one. and on two occasions the alarm didn't even go off. They were able to break the glass with some type of ceramic thing, then gently crawled through the window and ransaked my car.... I don't want that happening to this car.

again thanks for the reply, so anyone else have any suggestions??

93speed
08-17-2002, 11:01 AM
My Avital 2200 works pretty good. 6 tone siren and 2 stage sensor. It also has a $2500 anti-theft guarantee which will cover your insurance deductable. The extra sensors (glass, proximity, etc) are separate. I had mine installed by Best Buy (I know :rolleyes: ) for $250.

EFsleeper
08-21-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 93speed
My Avital 2200 works pretty good. 6 tone siren and 2 stage sensor. It also has a $2500 anti-theft guarantee which will cover your insurance deductable. The extra sensors (glass, proximity, etc) are separate. I had mine installed by Best Buy (I know :rolleyes: ) for $250.

Theres nothing wrong with a Best Buy install... As long as you come to the one that I install for. :smoker2:

93speed
08-21-2002, 09:00 PM
Yeah it all depends on location. I always get a load of crap when I say where it was installed ;)

Add your comment to this topic!