Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 S10 2.5l acceleration problems...

MitchMeister-
07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
So i have a 91' S10 2.5L 5speed with about 256K on it.. when i bought it from my friend it ran great.. drove it for the last 8 months with no problems what so ever.. then about a month ago i change the wires/plugs/oil/air filter and drove it for about a day.. and when i was driving home i lost a ton of power and it idled like crap. Well.. this is what i've done so far..

Checked the plug gap, cap, rotor, wires, checked that it was getting spark at all.
Changed fuel pump and filter.
Checked nearly all vacuum wires for leaks/cracks.
Removed stock catalytic converter.. cat-back is nearly new.
Replaced PCV valve..
and pretty much made sure it's getting fuel.
Now im not sure wtf is wrong cause it still idles/has low power. I'm assuming it has somethin to do with the fuel pressure now.. possibly the regulator.. or the more i read it might be the EGR valve...
Now we did find that the EGR valve was very loose and retightend it down.. but it still runs bad. Any insight would be great..

joshmitch05
07-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Coil sounds like the culprit.

MitchMeister-
07-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Nope.. replaced the coil and it runs better.. but not like it was. So i guess its down to fuel pressure.... i'll have to find someone who hasa tester..

joshmitch05
07-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Take the Ignition Control Module out and take it to AutoZone, they test them for free.

sector95
07-26-2006, 08:40 PM
256K??? Hmmm, looks like you hit all the common stuff... if it were my truck I'd replace the EGR valve and the O2 sensor. If the EGR valve craps out, it will create lots of driveability problems. The O2 sensor is the main input to the engine computer to determine fuel mixture...if it's gone bad your fuel mixture will be incorrect. I guess you live in a state without emissions testing....

Of course with 256K on the odo, the engine may just be flat wore out.... run a compression check on the motor.

Good luck

MitchMeister-
07-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Well O2 sensor i replaced about 4 months ago.. and i pulled it out and it's not even black yet. So i guess i could replace the EGR and see what happens. And yeah.. i was thinkin with 256K it could be dead too.. lol. but i hope not.

Add your comment to this topic!