Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front end squeal...

Newfie6699
07-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi, this is my first post so please be patient...
Since I have this problem it has led me to the internet for some research before spending needless amounts of money on garage charges.

I own a 1999 Plymouth Voyager with 74,000 km.
It has served my family well so far. I have only owned this van for 6 months now.

The problems lies within the air pump I think. When I start the vehicle a little chirp is heard from that area. If I turn on the fan it starts again sometimes but, with a little tap of the gas peddle it goes and then comes intermitantly. When I turn on the air conditioning , a very loud squeal comes from what sounds like the air pump again. But this time I really have to give her a good shot of gas to briefly eliminate the squeal.

I have tried a spray lubricant down in that area of the air pump which seems to work excellent but only for a day. Then its the same again...

What advice can you give me on this annoying problem?
Is it a bad bearing or maybe a belt pulley?

Thank for any advice...

vipergg
07-23-2006, 08:03 PM
More than likely a glazed serpentine belt or the tensioner is not keeping the belt tight enough. Test when its chirping take a spray bottle of water and spray water on the belt if the sounds changes or goes away its probably the belt.

Newfie6699
07-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Okay... Are those belts easy to replace? Seems like a tight spot to get into...

With the engine running, when I spray a lubricating oil down on the side of the pulley, the noise seems to go away for a day or so... So you think that would still be a belt and not a bearing or something??

Newfie6699
07-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Again, I'll ask, Are these belts easy to replace???

Stretch58
07-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Again, I'll ask, Are these belts easy to replace???
Could it be possible that what you are calling an "air pump" is really the Air Conditioner Compressor? On 99s with the 3.0 engine, there is a separate V Belt for the AC. At any rate don't spray any lubricant at all around those belts. If you change a belt try to get all of the oil removed that you hosed down the area with before you put on a new belt. As with anything nowadays in tight compartments, most of it is not a walk in the park. But this job is one you can save some money on if you know what to do. I would start by going down to your nearest auto supply store and buy a Haynes book that covers your van. The AC V belt squealing on those is not unusual with a loose belt. You can ruin a good belt though if it gets oil on it. If you change the AC belt, you may have to come back later and retighten it again a little.

Newfie6699
07-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks a whole bunch... Great help on here!
Yes, it could be the compressor...

Do you know if I can buy a Hayes manual online somewhere and then download it??

Stretch58
07-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Not That I know of.

Newfie6699
07-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know how much those serpentine belts cost?

RIP
07-27-2006, 03:00 PM
$15 -20.

Add your comment to this topic!